Russian Bath Mittens Broadside?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Jul 11, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello,

I purchased this interesting "broadside" or so I think it is.

It's fairly decent size, and the letters have nice color.

Was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what a "Russian Bath Mitten" is or was?

My guess was some sort of Bath House Accessory C. 1880's

But any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Think I'm gonna frame it and put it in my bathroom lol IMG_2270.JPG IMG_2271.JPG IMG_2272.JPG

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

probably a loofa..............it's the can be used dry part that makes me think so......though looking at google makes me think it is nothing more than a terry cloth wash cloth in the form of a mitten............................could be it has evolved over time or it could be that I am over medicated...................

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

or a "bath glove"? Think of a terrycloth "wash cloth" made into a mitten shape?

4. Bakersgma

I like the part about hanging it in the bathroom!

5. Mansons2005

I think the bathroom idea is pretty clever as well ............... BUT I have insisted on knowing EXACTLY what a thing is or means before i use,wear or display it.................I once wore green to work on a Thursday because "everyone else did"..............got a bit of a surprise out of THAT one I can tell ya......................and my youngest brother should have taken a clue from me before he came out of an areoplane restroom with his head swaddled in sanitary napkins thinking they were bandages............

6. ScanticAntiques

Haha! I'll have to properly frame it though in order for it not to get moisture in it :/

I'm hoping I can find some more paper broadsides at Brimfield this week. I have not purchased a lot of them in my time, but I do enjoy the lettering and the look! :)

7. ScanticAntiques

I was thinking something along those lines. But wasn't 100% sure!

Thank you! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Green on Thursdays is a new one on me... never heard that before!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Scantic, if it has any foxing or looks like the paper was wet previously, you might not want to put it in a bathroom that gets steamy. There could be bits of mold or mildew that will flourish in a hotter, damper environment.

And trying to frame it in a way that's impervious to steam could create its own problems, since there wouldn't be any air circulation and changes in temperature could cause moisture to build up inside.

10. Bakersgma

:eek::wideyed::hilarious::hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Mansons2005

Back in the late 50s and into the 60s wearing green to a work place on Thursday was "secret code" for Hey, dude, wanna come up and see my etchings????? It eventually devolved down to high schools and as we all know teenagers can't keep a secret, so it became more of a joke than anything................

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  12. ScanticAntiques

Valuable Point! I was debating that. Maybe right outside the bathroom door lol

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea! :)

14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wow! I can work with all that...... ;)

16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Yeah...the nothing on Friday one....that one didn't turn out well...over all...but hey!...it was hot out so I was good with it.... ;) I'm banned from Safeway though so..... ;)

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I never have liked myself in green....(LOL)

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted