Russian Bronze, or something, Possibly depicting Stalin on Horse?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kasperscuriosities, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Not my pictures so I apologize a head of time but does this look like anything to anyone? To me it looks pretty rough and simple. Measurements are 25"x18"x14 1/2"
    They believe it is signed by what looks like Zyablonski it has a date of 1935 stamped on the bottom.

I can't find anything on that artist so I am wondering if is has been misinterpreted. Although what could you mistake for a z or y?

They say it has a black patina that has been scratched in a couple of areas revealing the bronze. This is all according to the seller. They are asking 2k. Seems pretty high to me. I am not seeing 2k here but am I wrong? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance. Sorry these were the pictures I was sent. The rest were too blurry to be of any use.

00D0D_4ZzNKdmOpNY_600x450.jpg 00f0f_8ulS9wPsCmQ_600x450.jpg 00h0h_a7CJTUix9kx_600x450.jpg 00505_77ACQ1CVSND_600x450.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is there any possibility they could send you a photo of the marks?

I'm curious about the lettering. If it's not in Cyrillic, that might also indicate something.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Stalin on horseback. Was my first thought before fully absorbing the title. I found similar statues and statuettes.
    $_1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you say they are asking 2K....you mean for a reserve ...right ?

or are they selling it to you ???

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The rider on Kasper's example seems a bit down-trodden - head hanging forward? I would have expected Stalin to be more upright in posture and chin out (like Gila's picture.)

And, of course it may be the picture, but I don't see any sort of bronze there. More like pewter.

6. Kasperscuriosities

Yeah they are basically wanting a 2k reserve but I just don't see it. I agree with Bakersgma it doesn't look bronze to me. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the bottom and the seller is a bit unorganized getting good pictures without picking it up and doing it myself will be like pulling teeth.

I just kind of wanted to make sure before I give her the bad news that this isn't something worth what she is asking. It looks very similar to Gila's picture but this one has the reins hanging from the horses mouth and back up to the riders hands. Now she does have some other pieces of pretty high-end art by a local and well known artist but this one has me stumped.

Gila, where did you find that picture?

Thanks everyone.

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

8. Kasperscuriosities

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't necessarily think it's Stalin in the original images. As was pointed out, the pose would be a little unusual for the leader of the USSR. Photos and statues of Stalin generally radiate power and control.

11. Kasperscuriosities

Yeah I had my doubts about it being Stalin too. I haven't found too many of him on horseback. Maybe just a soldier. He does appear to be looking down a bit.

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

We need one of the militaria folks to have a guess at the hat, maybe. Maybe the coat, bridle, too?

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Bottom line.....you'll get folks thinking that they can use you to get full value out of their stuff...& it's up to you to tell em......a lot of the time....that what they're asking is NOT what you can promise !!

On the AR , the other day...a woman was told her item was around 3 thousand dollars.....without blinking she looked at the appraiser and said.....YOU WANNA BUY IT !!!!.........I cracked up !!!

14. Kasperscuriosities

Yeah I tend to tell people that want reserves they need to take it home and love on it some more. Bring it back when your ready to sell. I mean we charge a buy back on client set reserves but when they are reaching for the stars I want to let them know they are way out of range. I am not trying to waste their time.

Draft saved Draft deleted