Featured Russian Imperial Porcelain Tazza? 19th century, enameled, bronze foot.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by R. Antonis, Nov 11, 2020.

1. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here, but it seems I need some help once more.

I think I have something great here!

20201110_232335.jpg 20201110_232405.jpg

A couple of months ago I bought this beautiful tazza/coupe/baguier at an auction house in France. It was sold as an French opaline glass baguier/tazza, in etruscan style. But I had the feeling that it was Russian, and not French. Now I mainly deal in opaline glass, so I was impatiently waiting for it to arrive.

And yesterday it finally did. I was impressed about the details of the piece.
    The very small glass beads and the painting style and enamel work. Now if it's etruscan style? I have no idea to be honest.

20201110_232440.jpg 20201110_232535.jpg 20201111_153451.jpg 20201110_232757.jpg 20201111_153456.jpg

But it definitely felt Russian. I had seen some pieces made by the Russian Imperial Glass factory earlier. Only after a couple of hours I saw this..... (under the rim)

20201110_232453.jpg 20201111_153309.jpg

I realized that it's probably glazed, and therefore porcelain and not glass.

No I have been searching again...
    Russian porcelain with what it seems to be champlevé/cloisonné.
    I have found a couple of Russian examples, with the same style, same kind of borders, and the glas beads. But the mystery is... they all seem to have a silver, or at least a metal base, for the champlevé to attach on.

And mine is almost certainly porcelain and not glass.
    So it's probably not champlevé, but just enameled.
    But definitely in the same style.

I really hope there are some people here that know about Russian porcelain.

I have found some examples which I will mention in my next message.
    Most of 'em are from the Russian Imperial Porcelain factory I believe.

Thank you very much for your help!!

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Are you sure it's porcelain? Looks like enamel on metal (copper?) to me.

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I was going to say it has a cloisonne look to it

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It is beautiful. Looks well made.

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Found this. I clicked on the link and everything was french. Translated everything to English and i scrolled through all the pictures and unfortunately there was no picture or info of it.

Screenshot_20201111-094726_Chrome.jpg

KikoBlueEyes, R. Antonis and Houseful like this.
  6. R. Antonis

7. R. Antonis

Well, I'm quite sure. It has a bronze rim. It's not made out of 1 piece.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. R. Antonis

Hi, that's a nice find ;)
    That's the auction site site I bought it from :p

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's nothing Etruscan about it. Think anything with little applied beads gets labeled Etruscan because the decoration reminds people of the granulation the Etruscans used on their jewellery.

I too see it as enameled metal. If it's made in 2 pieces, that inclines me even more toward enamel. Quite a piece, I must say.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It is regular old enamelling! Porcelain? I don't think so. Why on earth would it be porcelain? Doesn't make sense.

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, R.
    This part really looks like enamel on metal to me, you can see where the enamel pulled back from the edge:

[​IMG]

Bronwen, KikoBlueEyes and kyratango like this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

13. kyratango

14. kyratango

To recognize Bressans (not a maker named Bressans, from Bresse a French area!) enamels, a clue is the pink opalescent enamel drops:)

15. R. Antonis

That's a very nice find ;)
    I was absolutely convinced it was Russian, with maybe a byzantic style or something.

It seems like this is made by TAHAN, Paris.
    I found a couple of boxes of it just now.

THANK YOU! :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAHAN-Pa...fired-Enamel-Jewelry-Box-Casket-/322334099217

https://www.antiques.co.uk/antique/EXQUISITE-NAPOLEON-111-TAHAN-A-PARIS-TRINKET-BOX

https://www.antiques-delaval.com/fr...-perles-bronze-tahan-napoleon-iii-xixeme.html

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

17. Bronwen

Wonder whether the gilding would be true ormolu.

18. Bronwen

@kyratango Amazing as always on French items.

Draft saved Draft deleted