Russian Lacquered Egg Info. Please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mario, May 14, 2018.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Can somebody identify the Saint on this lacquered egg I picked up this weekend and is the signature the name of the Saint or the name of the maker? It measures 4"H to tip of ferrell? and is about 2-1/4"W. Seems to be painted on. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks. egg1.jpg egg2.jpg egg3.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Could it be... Jesus?

I bought some painted eggs at an easter market in Prague, but they were painted with Slavic geometrical designs.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is very beautiful.
    The saint is Jesus. It looks like it is the veil of St Veronica, who wiped Jesus' face while he was carrying the cross. Her act of kindness was rewarded by the imprint of his face on the veil.
    It is definitely a Russian egg, these eggs were Easter presents. The name is the maker's name. The cross on the back is the Russian Orthodox cross.

St Veronica by Hans Memling:
    [​IMG]

4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for your help, I agree it is of the veil. I had an antique oil painting of the same subject matter a couple of years back, shame that I sold it, maybe I'll contact the buyer that bought that painting to see if he'd be interested in it. Again, thank you. PS; any luck on the translation?

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pleasure, of course.
    We have some Russian speaking members, @Figtree3 is here regularly, she will be able to read it, even though it is a bit vague.

6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Hopefully she will, thanks.

7. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

The writing says: I. Mirimanova. That's the surname of the artist
    I assume her name should be Irina or Inna
    Or Ilona

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

For some reason I did not see a notification about this tag... looks like @April07 took care of answering the question!

Christmasjoy and April07 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted