Featured Russian medal/badge or pin/brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Jan 23, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is supposed to be jewelry or a badge/medal. It’s framed under glass. I planned on taking it out to examine it better but maybe someone can save me the time and effort. If I can leave the paper intact on the back of the frame then even better. The owner had several Russian religious icons framed in the same exact way so he must have done a batch at the same time. It kind of looks like silver tarnish but maybe that’s wishful thinking. If it is it would seem the eagles and weapons were polished a bit and the rest left with its tarnish intact. it has a threaded post on the reverse. The owner had a nice collection of both Russian military items and Russian art. This looks like it could be military or military inspired. Any Russophile's?

Edit: Looks like St. George in the center.

A8AF6D98-A102-4489-BF1F-BD36185EE106.jpeg B94341C7-167C-46AA-BB6A-4F560C858AB4.jpeg

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the axe is hard to find, normally used by fire brigades or pontoniers. the whole is similar to the flag of the Imperial marine with crossed anker and paddle and resembles the old city crest of St. Petersburg. the small shields showing the provinces.

J Dagger likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

B0D55B1F-AFC0-4FB9-8261-774CDBE8D171.jpeg Looks to be marked?

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

INH! Great eye, omg! It was so dark and crowded in this sale that I just grabbed this and stuffed it in my bag. Then at home I’ve only glanced at it a couple times late at night when it’s dark and I’m too tired apparently. Even looking for marks I missed these. There are marks on either side. The ones you highlighted are really worn and hard to see. I may need to take it out of frame for those. The opposite side clearly looks like BP if it’s turned upside down. That doesn’t seem to match the Russian alphabet so maybe it was marked upside down?

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. J Dagger

Great information Fid thanks. I’ll use that as a jumping off point.

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

I see an 8, maybe 84 silver mark??

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

didn't we recently see a crest like this...????

J Dagger likes this.
  8. J Dagger

I thought I saw it too before seeing your post but I’m unconvinced. I want to see an 84 I know that!

i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

We will patiently wait for better photos. :nailbiting:

10. J Dagger

Got it in different light and now I am pretty sure it is an 84 and not just wishful thinking. Tried more photos. Not sure I’m gonna get a really good one of that mark. The other one yes, that one not so sure. I’ll try again later.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

12. J Dagger

Wow! You’re amazing! I didn’t have a chance to look yet. You knocked it out of the park! Very, very close. So cool! I figured it was a good buy at $25 but I didn’t know exactly how good. Glad I didn’t think much and just grabbed!

edit: I honestly think mine looks better but that doesn’t mean it’s as good as this one as far as originality or value goes. This is also obviously an ask, not sale price but good to know what someone’s asking.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

You can keep chipping away, between examining the mark and taking descriptive words from the link. ;)

komokwa likes this.
  14. J Dagger

Indeed, I will! Thanks again!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted