Featured Russian Tea Doll- Need help with Translation- Cyrillic?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Darkwing Manor, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I have a circa 1940s (?) Russian Tea Doll with a label. I tried to decipher it with an on-line Cyrillic alphabet but can't make heads nor tails. Can anyone help me, please? I'd like to know the company or maker's name, the doll's name and date, if possible. Research turns up these may have been named for the vanities, but I haven't verified that. Thank you!
    doll mail2.jpg doll mail.jpg

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I can't help with what it says, but if it fits over a teapot, then it is referred to as a Tea Cozy.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They always put a smile on your face, don't they.:) I remember them from the 70s, maybe yours is from that period too.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I think with the stockinette/mask face, that she is earlier.

5. Darkwing Manor

judy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The fabric of her dress doesn't look terribly old.

Debora

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The red letters at the lower left of your label say "date of manufacture" and they were supposed to write or stamp the date there. I believe the stamp higher up that says XI-77 is the date of manufacture, with Roman numerals for the month with the two digits for the year. If I'm right it would be November 1977.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

A few people who grew up with the Russian language belong to this site. I will tag @April07 to see if she will help.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Do the letters above the red star in a pentagram look like CCCP?

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  10. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

It was made by Moscow Toy Factory "Krugozor". The date is indeed November 1977. The label doesn't mark it as a tea doll, just as a gift doll (model 3).
    The red star with letters is a sign of the Soviet GOST (USSR state standard, it appears on all the goods).

11. Darkwing Manor

Thanks everyone. I knew you all would have good answers and comments. She is meant to be a tea cozy if you interpret the split and padded underskirt that way. I don't think an entire samovar would fit under there though! doll5.mail.jpg

12. Darkwing Manor

Yes Bronwen, but the stamp ink is smudged, so hard to tell.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I bought one in Russian in the 1970's.

14. Darkwing Manor

Her left hand is missing. She's going up on eBay as a creepy killer doll. I was inspired by that and her enigmatic expression. doll7mail.jpg

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted