Rusty bell (cut pipe?) with cross as ringer/clapper. Anyone seen similar?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Apologies because I don't have a picture.

Odd bell in the back of a patio at an estate sale, 99.9% chance still there because it was out of the way and un-priced outside --started raining cats and dogs right after I left sale was only open a bit longer, so bets are it is still there.

Got home and thought I'd easily find similar online, finding nothing.

Here is the description: Rusty cylindrical bell (HEAVY! --maybe 10 lbs) 8" high or so, 3-4" across. Loop across top, and the ringer/clanger/clapper (bottom piece-whatever you call that...) was a thick cross, like a religious cross. Was wondering if it was Mexican, kind of folk art style. I almost wondered if the top piece was from an old pipe.

I know this is vague, just throwing it out there. I may return to the sale and just wondered if it was something to pick up.

If my description doesn't ring any bells :confused: I'll just use my best judgement.

P.S. One of the women running it looked SO familiar to me, we got talking and turns out she was on AR (Antiques Roadshow) for 12 seasons!:woot:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    silverthwait, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Was it the actual clapper that was a cross or was the cross attached below the body of the bell to catch the wind? That's one heavy bell & does sound like someone's garage project.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bronwen.

The cross was the clapper. Not attached.

The sale was pretty cool. All kinds of art, expensive modern dishware, etc.

But I was exhausted and just thought, "what am I going to do with that bell?" so put it back.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a weapon than a bell!

judy and Lucille.b like this.