Ruth pall marking on watch bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lennyt, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone can tell me the hallmark meaning on a watch bracelet.
    I bought this watch thinking that it was probably platinum or gold.
    The main part turned out to be platinum as expected but the bracelet is neither.
    It is hallmarked ruth pall.
    Pall is probably palladium but what the heck ruth is?

20210111_145505~2_copy_2037x1362_1.jpg

20210111_145538~2_copy_1565x1075.jpg

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I am not a jewelry person, but according to this article Pall is used for Palladium and Ruth for Ruthenium

'In most countries where platinum jewelry is manufactured, the pure platinum content is at least 85 percent, according to Platinum Today. Makers commonly alloy platinum with the PGM metals—palladium, ruthenium and iridium. Copper and cobalt are also commonly alloyed with platinum for polishing ability and color. Just 5 percent of an alloy metal can give soft platinum the necessary hardness for a ring, according to 1 Wedding Band. Platinum content markings are based on parts per thousand of pure platinum in the ring. According to the Federal Trade Commission, in the United States, "Platinum" (without additional qualifications) can only be used to mark and describe rings made with at least 950 parts pure platinum throughout. Such a ring may simply read "Platinum," "Plat" or "Pt," or may be marked "95% Plat," "950 Plat" or "950 Pt." Rings containing 850 or more parts pure platinum may be described as "platinum" if they use the number "850," or "85% or more" to qualify "Platinum" or its abbreviation in the content marking. Abbreviation marks for other PGMs include: "Plat." or "Pt." for platinum; "Irid." or "Ir." for iridium; "Pall." or "Pd." for palladium; "Ruth." or "Ru." for ruthenium; "Rhod." or "Rh." for rhodium; and "Osmi." or "Os." for osmium."

4. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

So is it made of ruthenium and covered with palladium or the other way around?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

An alloy is the mix of two metals.

6. Bronwen

It's probably plated with an alloy of ruthenium & palladium.

BoudiccaJones and Fid like this.
  7. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I doubt that. There is always main metal in jewelry. I can't find any reference of such a metal alloy.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

"Ruthenium alloys well with palladium, but the as-cast hardness is lower than that of platinum/ruthenium. Ruthenium addition is suitable for producing pieces where cold working processes are used as the alloy work hardens quickly to offer acceptable hardness and durability." See site below
    Johnson Matthey Palladium w/ 5% Ruthenium Jewelry Alloy (matweb.com)

9. Bronwen

From the site at the link I provided: "Ruthenium is often alloyed with palladium or platinum to harden these materials for use in the manufacturing of wear-resistance electrical contacts. This enables the application of a much thinner coating than possible when using these metals alone." This was about electrical contacts, but the finish on a watch bracelet also needs to be durable.

BoudiccaJones, Fid and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

So I guess it makes this one a bit rarer than usual platinum / 14k combination.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well it might....but womens watches like this are better for popping the stones and melting.......

Fid likes this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

For now, maybe, but all things go round.
    The fashion for tiny dress watches from this era will return eventually so items like this will be very desirable again.
    Personally I hate scrapping anything unless it is beyond repair.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're coming back around in some fashion mags.

When I saw the Ruth in the title all I could think was "my watch?" (I'm a Ruth.)

14. komokwa

so what you're both saying is that i should hang on to Moms watch....a while longer.........

IMG_7420.JPG

Exactly , how long ????

15. KikoBlueEyes

It was your Mom's. Like forever.

16. komokwa

:happy::happy:

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

It’s beautiful anyway

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

one to four weeks

blooey, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It says AUTH not RUTH, I reckom. As in authorised. There's a full stop after the AUTH too, abbreviation.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Darn. Not my watch then.

Draft saved Draft deleted