S. AMERICAN TRIBAL FIGURE w/HOOKED WITCH LIKE NOSE REAL OR TOURIST PIECE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 12, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my local thrift store - I bought it as soon as I saw that nose! It reminded me of the bad witch in the wizard of oz!

Where is this from? What does it represent? Is it real or a piece made for tourists? Finally, is there a way to get that dam sharpie off the bottom?!

PS - It is 11.5" tall and has a hole like a pipe in the top

Thank you

ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 1AA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 2AA_AA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 2AA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 2AA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 2AAA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 3AA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 3AAA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 5A_AA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 4AA.jpg ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 5AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Here is pic of top. Also I just realized that it's not it's nose but it's tongue! I have something kinda like this - it's a couple having intercourse with the pipe/top - it's from Peru

ART STATUE PRIMITIVE S AMERICAN SITTING 6AA.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

That sharpie includes what looks like what may be a mark (a fish?), so I'd try to figure that out before obliterating.

@Taupou

Acetone works well on sharpie used on glass and other non-porous things, but can get ugly in ceramics like this.

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's probably more along decorative in my opinion. Why would somebody write on the bottom of it with a sharpie if it was old?? I see the fish drawing but it seems like someone got bored and doodled? Who knows.

Dawnno and scoutshouse like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thrift store price I tried to change so you couldn't tell it was a price - it was $3.99 + a letter for whatever color it was of the day (each day a color is 1/2 price). When I couldn't get rid of the $.99 I made the $3 - $43; which I can always discount at my yard sale!

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not old. An interpretation meant to be a Mayan figure, I believe. The mouthpiece may be based on some depictions of priests holding mask elements in their mouth.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  7. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a Gene Simmons vase?
    upload_2019-5-12_21-43-46.png :p

8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I've found that felt pen/sharpie ink tends to soak into low-fired clay like this, and is just about impossible to deal with. The only thing I've found that sometimes helps, is the original Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. And that doesn't always work.

Same thing with sticky tape or labels on pueblo pottery. Even if you use goo-gone, or a hair dryer, and the label comes off without taking part of the surface of the pot, some residue is left, which will attract dust, and show up as a discoloration later.

I've come to the conclusion that it's best to never again buy a pot that someone has put a sticky price tag on, or priced with a felt pen. (My "rant" for the day!)

Figtree3, patd8643, judy and 5 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I like DeSolv-It for tags. Have you tried it @Taupou? I got it at a Smart and Final.

judy likes this.
  10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of either of those (the brand or the store), so I just looked them up. It's 524 miles to the nearest Smart and Final, but I'll keep an eye out for the DeSolv-It closer to home. Thanks for the tip!

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree with @Taupou that felt pen is nearly impossible. But I use "odorless" mineral spirits (white spirits for you Brits) to remove sticky tags from books as well as other surfaces. A couple drops on the tag, let it sit for a minute or so, and then lift the tag off with a small spatula or dull scalpel. The remaining residue I swab off with a Q-tip moistened with more mineral spirits, then dry with another swab. It will temporarily penetrate and darken porous surfaces, but usually evaporates without leaving any stain. It is cheaper than the other adhesive removers (I go through a lot), but it must be the odorless kind. The regular kind will leave a smell for quite awhile.

patd8643 likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can find it at other stores too, like hardware stores. I used to use WD-40 and similar but those leave a residue or a smell.

Draft saved Draft deleted