S.S. Ft Meigs iron mystery piece, dated 1943

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Lucille.b, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

My 90 year old neighbor passed away two months ago (RIP, he was a great man). His daughter found this piece when going through items, and wondered if I had any idea what it might be. Military is not my forte... anyone have thoughts? Approx 4.5" across, magnet sticks, so metal is iron.

Noted that it was tapered on the side, maybe for holding some kind of rope? Also would the stamped date be something that was added after the fact? Thanks for taking a look.

aal1.jpg

aal2.jpg

aal3.jpg

aal5.jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I found this, that I THINK relates, if you read it through, as there are two "MEIGS"....for me, got a bit confusing.....but I think I have it correct now....and maybe somehow that piece of iron came off the earlier troop ship! How your neighbor got it, is not for me to say!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAT_Meigs

I Believe THIS BELOW is the ship also that relates to your search. This relates to the Meig built in 1922!!

https://www.navsource.org/archives/30/22/302204002.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  3. Lucille.b

Thank you, Aqui.

It's a bit of a mystery. I'm thinking the date would have been added after the fact...or?? Also does anyone know WHAT this is, as a start?

@springfld.arsenal

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wonder what fit into that slot?

I thought we had some Navy guys here.....

Aquitaine and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Good point -- if we knew "what" this was, it would be part of the mystery solved.

Thanks!

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like it might have a bit of that 'battleship grey' paint on it, especially in the last image.........just guessing here....and in looking at it....no holes to hold it steady anywhere!!!!!....SO some sort of a wedge?????? Could it possibly go the OTHER WAY UP?????????

That stamp on the piece could have easily been added later.....and in reading down on that first article...might just add to confusion!!!! from Newsweek:

"Namesakes
    The name USS Meigs is incorrectly applied to the USAT Meigs and also, properly, to the USS General M. C. Meigs (AP-116), which served in the Korean War.

There was also a small Quartermaster Corps passenger and freight steamer built in 1892 by John H. Dialogue & Son, Camden New Jersey, and serving in the early 20th century named General Meigs.[21][22]"

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

There is confusion about the name, ss fort meigs is different than ss meigs. There was a freighter (to carry freight, not a warship) built in 1943 called the ss fort meigs http://www.t2tanker.org/ships/kaiser.html
    Have no idea what that piece is, but probably name plate on ship or some other piece on ship with name and date, and taken off years later when the ship was broken up for scrap. Owner may have been on the freighter during the war, so kept as a momento, or maybe just there when it was broken up and kept as a personal record.

9. Lucille.b

Thanks, Jeff. Something along these lines is likely correct. Appreciate you taking a look.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Bakersgma and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

possibly a cross section of the building material cut out to perform metallurgical tests and inspection, something they should have done on that ship called the Titanic......... date corresponds to the building of the ship SS Ft. Meigs. ....interesting it was scrapped out in Holland.

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Thank you Firemandk.

Firemandk likes this.
  13. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

It's just a guess but it's a possibility

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

SS Ft. Meigs was launched on June 3, 1943 according to the info at link above. It could be a typo for June 8 which appears on the object. I’m thinking the item is some form of brake that got knocked off a rail to let the ship slide down the ways at launching. I’m not familiar with the mechanical details but an expendable brake of some kind would make sense. I think searches of ship launching would show something like it.

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted