Featured Sacheverell and Edith Sitwell

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by afantiques, Sep 18, 2016.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Notable British literary figures from the 1920s onwards.

While sorting out the shed, I found a small archive of family pictures, original prints and negatives relating to the Sitwells, probably from the estate of Francis, son of Satcheverell. I probably put them aside years ago after I sold the Cecil Beaton original prints from the folder for quite good money.

I will probably stick the remainder in a local auction and see if they get any attention. P1040951.JPG

P1040952.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have recently been reading Great Flower Books, 1700-1900 by Sacheverell Sitwell. I was not really very familiar with him prior to that. I had heard more of Edith. Another good haul for you!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a good photo for a snap. Any idea who took it?

Can't say I've read much by either, but Sacheverell did do the mini commentaries on the boxes in "18th Century Gold Boxes of Europe"
    I find them a bit saccharine, but I guess he and Kenneth Snowman must have gotten along.

I was surprised to find this in Wikipedia:

A large collection of the Sitwells' papers reside at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center at The University of Texas, Austin.

I wonder how they ended up there?

(no "t" in Sacheverell, but I'm inclined to add one as well)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Some of the pictures are prints of pictures by newspaper photographers, hence the qualiuty. There is a Daily Express envelope marked 2 photos of big two on 10/65. These are probably the ones visible in the second picture.

Sorry about the extra 't'. Can this be edited out of the title, Davey?
    It seems the pictures were the property of Francis Sitwell, Sachie's son.

I liked this line from Francis' obituary, about his Grandfather.
    'the brilliant eccentric Sir George (author of the definitive work on the fork)'

(Obituary here, it's worth a read)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1452245/Francis-Sitwell.html

It is probable that stuff from Francis' estate found its way to Phillips in Knowle where I bought this lot.

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted