Featured Sad Ivory brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jan 16, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've bought a job lot of antique and vintage bits so I've got a few bits to post pictures of. All need restoration and bought for my education and interest.
    I can't see any lines on it to confirm it's Ivory but looks very much like it. Any date or origin ideas please?.
    Also what dissolves superglue without damaging the Ivory or bone :facepalm:.I think the surround is silver but I haven't tested it. It too is covered in superglue:banghead:.
    I was wondering if the cross hatching in some of the flowers was a signature but IDK.
    Thanks for looking.:)
    IMG_0855.jpg IMG_0856.jpg IMG_0857.jpg IMG_0858.jpg IMG_0859.jpg IMG_0861.jpg IMG_0862.jpg IMG_0860.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks like Chinese work plus that isn't superglue, it looks like epoxy. Superglue doesn't build up in any volume, it is like water.
    Cured epoxy can be (is) a problem to remove. Heat is about the only reliable method, but in this case ...

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

So it’s RIP :mask:.
    Ok so if I scrap trying to make it look better what can I learn from it?. Any idea on age?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

you can try to pry and crack the glue away (gently!) with a dental tool - sometimes that works if the glue was applied over a greasy or dirty surface

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Depending on the date of the repair (though I hesitate to call such slovenly work a legitimate repair), the adhesive might be Duco or a similar nitro-cellulose. These are usually soluble in acetone. Dip a cotton swab in acetone, and roll it over a small area to see if the adhesive softens, or, if you can pry a small piece of adhesive off soak it and see if it dissolves.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

into the deep freeze. perhaps a few pieces might fall off by themselves.
    or with a cold spray and a piece of wood.

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great suggestions everyone. I will try cold, acetone and dropping it in hot water!

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Hot water not the best idea - when I said "heat removes epoxy" I was talking flame/heat gun/and soldering irons. You don't really want to boil ivory.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe you can use the suggested methods to work on the parts affecting the central design, remove the outer band of ivory and re-set in a smaller piece.
    Unless someone thinks that would cause collapse of everything.

Christmasjoy, KSW and blooey like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Too bad that outer band is the most appealing part of the piece, eh?

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

What makes it the most appealing, intricacy and fragility, seems to be The Achilles Heel, Sadly. :(

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

If I can't rescue it at least I can scrap or repurpose the silver surround.

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. It's not a big deal as it only cost a couple of £ if that but I like saving things if it's at all possible!

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Realistically it can't get more collapsed than it is. This is a do or die rescue mission:mask:

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

we are proud of you !

17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I agree with all advices above!:)

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm working on it. Slowly slowly catchee monkey. Or in case slowly ease bits of glue off without breaking it or removing a bit that's actually helpful. I do a bit and then leave it for a while when I get bored. It will never be whole again and it won't make it worth more but it's quite satisfying when a bit if glue gives up its hold. Whoever did it definitely had an 'if a little is good,lots must be better' approach :confused:.

20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Courage! Leaving it when bored is the best thing to do:)
    When I kyratise, I refrain myself to go further when I'm satisfied by the result... last touch can ruin previous work:eek::facepalm:

Draft saved Draft deleted