Safari seats from pre ww2

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by gerspee, Sep 26, 2016.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

According to the last owner coming from Dutch Indonesia in the late fifties and already in the family in the late 20ties in there stoel (2).JPG stoel (3).JPG stoel (5).JPG stoel (7).JPG stoel (6).JPG stoel (8).JPG stoel (9).JPG Indonesian plantation . Swivel backside and took away some 7 layers of fabric . Paint was lead paint and the first layer on it . The material on the photo is the first layer I found so must the original . Was spanned with ropes on the seats original .

So a bit altered but are the Dutch or Scandinavian or ? Who is able to read the basics off the seat construction ? And what is the wood as like teak or ?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

3. gerspee

It was Kaare Klint from Denmark who made them in his design in the thirties . But my seats are earlier so who was the designer off the swivelled backrest ? It has been said that Klint would be the inventor off that construction with the two bolts as turning point .

The roughness off the wood is my fault because I took the paint off with a caustic soda solution

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They're most likely to have been made locally, possibly copying a design book or a catalogue.

5. gerspee

No clue yet but hope time will tell but I don't think there made locally .

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Vast amounts of furniture were made in Colonial British and other countries, such as Dutch Indonesia. I see no reason why this would not have been - the wood looks right for a start. Labour and materials were cheap and it was much more economical than shipping furniture out. I do think you've done them no good at all with that stripping.

Draft saved Draft deleted