Safety of old Silverplate flatware?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Hjarta, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Hjarta

Hjarta Member

Hi everybody!

I have a mixed set of Christofle silverplate flatware ranging in age from 1871 to the 1930’s. Some pieces are worn in spots through the plating to the metal underneath. Does anyone know if these are safe to eat from? How about the ones that are still fully plated? Sorry for the possibly dumb question but I can’t find much reliable info online. I will try to contact Christofle to see if they can help also. Thank everyone!!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There certainly will not be any danger in using the fully plated items.

Christofle used a proprietary alloy of nickel, copper and zinc called Alfenide for the base of plated items during earlier periods and I am unaware of any problems with such a combination for eating since it seems very similar to 2 other commonly used base alloys referred to as Nickel Silver and Alpacca. There is also a quote in Rainwater's Glossary from St. Nicholas Magazine saying "spoons made of Alfenide, similar to finest English white metal. Contain no brass or German steel."

There might be a taste effect you might not like in the case of the worn down pieces if the wear is on the business ends of spoons or forks, but other than that possibility, there's nothing toxic.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Hjarta like this.
  3. Hjarta

Hjarta Member

Thank you so much @Bakersgma! I really appreciate your help. That is good information! The thought had never crossed my mind it could be an issue until randomly this morning it popped into my head. I called Christofle this afternoon (learned the “le” at the end of the word is silent:p) and they said to send an email with photos. I did that and I will post if/when I get a reply. :shame:

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Silver is also a natural bactericide. So is brass.

Hjarta likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted