Salvador Dali "1960 DIVINE COMEDY INFERNO #16"

Discussion in 'Art' started by abuadam97, Aug 8, 2020.

1. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

I acquired recently a work by Dali. I searched it online and found out that the title is Inferno #16. I have seen several woodcut prints online. My question is that I see in mine a Dali signature in the plate that is not present in the ones I have seen online. I can see an embossing inscription that I was not able to decipher (see pictures). It's on B.F.K Rives paper.
    I looked at this artwork under a 10X magnifier and don't see the dots that are present in reproductions.
    I read that Dali's work has been forged a lot and I am wondering if mine is authentic or not. In view of the embossing, the B.F.K marks and the view under the magnifier this work seems to be not a fake.
    I paid for it $150 and I hope I wasn't not taken advantage of.
    Why mine has a signature in the plate and the others not?

2. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

See pictures

Attached Files:

3. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

Sorry forgot to say that the dimensions of the paper is 13" H by 10" wide
    It's nicely framed
    Thanks in advance for any help and information

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

Attached Files:

6. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

you may have the real McCoy but unfortunately there is also the chance of it being a forgery...Prints by Dali, Picasso Chagall and others have been the target of enterprising fakers in the last century and thousands of such fakes are believed to be still out there ...books have been written about such forgeries and the fakers behind them,,,,my humble advise would be to start a project of actually authenticating your piece formally...you can show it to the bigger reputable auction houses for free preliminary vetting first before you spend much time and money on it ,,,you can send them a good digital photo if they are not in your area...Then if it is a 'not so smart' forgery they may identify it and show you the reason based upon thier experience and resources like catalog raisonne etc ... But if no alarm bells go off in the preliminary vetting, normally if it is a reputable auction house (like Christie, Sothebys, Bonhams etc) they will ask you to bring a certificate of authenticity in the absence of a water tight provenance ( for example if it is bought from a thrift shop)....In this case you have to contact recognized experts who authenticate Dali prints and the auction house actually will advise you whom to contact...normally a fee is involved..,Then hopefully if your print is authenticated you can go on to auction it (i.e. if you want to) and normally in the bigger auction houses such prints sell very well..,,This is more or less the way to go about it...
    However small auction houses in towns may not fuss that much and it is actually quite common to see prints having big names like Dali, Picasso etc. advertised for auctions,,,such smaller houses want to move items quickly and usually the prints are also appraised with lower price...It is a public secret that many prints (I am not saying always) in such small auction houses will not pass the proper scrutiny outlined above ...on the other hand because of this poor and shady working protocol, genuine prints also will be sold undervalued to eagle eyed shoppers and as a result sellers will be deprived to be rewarded properly...
    Hence contacting a reputable auction house for preliminary check would be a good
    first step...

Hope it helps

TTA

JBo likes this.
  7. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

Thanks TTA. I really appreciated all the info. I have a contact at Bonhams that I have used before to try to vet it. Hopefully, it will turn out to be like you mentioned a real McCoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted