Featured Salvaged panel ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Drew, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

What is the design type - classical, renaissance, etc. ? 10x34 inch piece from a huge cabinet from the South.
    s-l1600 (24).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@Drew - Renaissance Revival; last quarter of the nineteenth century. Lovely work.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Early Renaissance Revival with lingering Rococo Revival elements on mahogany ca. 1860-70. Beautiful, as shallow noted.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Way cool piece. I bet you are happy!

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would have to go with the later end of the design period based on the departures from neoclassical norms of the figure in the medallion. The nose rule probably applies to wood carving as much as it does to shell.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the replies. I love the panel - so for $20. I found a bit of the 19th c. craftsmanship of a once grand piece of furniture. I would imagine furniture companies had a decent number of carvers employed in this era. . . they did some nice work.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's very nice and that's quite a bargain. I'd have bought it too. I agree with Bronwen about the nose. If you look up cameo dating you'll see what we mean about the nose. Earlier work shows the classic Roman nose. Later work shows the nose as more of a turned-up Hollywood starlet nose, if that explains it better.

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

There were about 10 pieces being offered all from the same cabinet - a couple like the one which I grabbed & started this post with - Some of the panels were of the style shown in this photo, animals, foliage, hunt scenes, like what would be seen in a Black Forest type carving. It must have been quite a unit in it's day. Nice one inch thick hand planed Mahogany w/ pegged joints, early nails. The bust and elements themselves are between 1 to 3 inches thick and were applied. s-l1600 (29).jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The eagle & the ox are symbols for 2 of the 4 evangelists.

10. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

A very common decorative technique for many centuries - using the symbols for the Evangelists. A trifle difficult to see here, but the four Evangelists' symbols, enclosed in rondels, on a 1487 binding:

1487mamorectussuperbibliam.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Ooh. I'd have bought more! If they weren't too expensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted