Salvation Army stores saying "goodbye" at least here.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by evelyb30, Aug 26, 2016.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

First, the one in my town closed down out of the blue - the building sprang leaks and they were marginal anyway. Then the next handiest one closed about a year ago. Now the next closest one is having its clearance sale. I scored printer ink, in code, Wednesday, for about 80% off list. Left on the shelves, some really pretty uranium green depression glass wine glasses. That about says it all when it comes to the Depression glass market these days. At 60% off they should have been long gone.

Meanwhile, Ill Will opened two new stores in a 20 mile radius. Savers/Value Village too. Is this happening near you, or is central Connecticut special?

KingofThings and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a SA store around here in years - just Goodwills everywhere.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The entire Goodwill chain in Southern Ontario shut down without notice back in January of this year. More than 400 people out of work. Don't know if they ever got paid or not. But I've heard that the chain will be re-opening next year under new management, and maybe new locations, no doubt new employees.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There SA is pretty strong around here in outer Northern Virginia. Quite a lot of GW too.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. evelyb30

The remaining Sallys will each be a good half hour drive away, as long as I don't hit rush hour. In this part of New England, with our population density, that's a long way out.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's too bad!!! I need places to take my clothes!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. evelyb30

I take mine to my church's clothes closet; we give the stuff away once a month. Some home goods too, books, etc. As a church member I can get in a day early, and sometimes score.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nice!!!.....and thanks! I never think to go there......duhhhhh!:banhappy::banghead:

KingofThings likes this.
  9. It was only the Goodwill stores in Toronto, Ontario. Not the entire chain in southwestern, Ontario.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted