Same item, way different valuations

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by springfld.arsenal, Jul 14, 2016.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

We recently sold one of the items pictured, same but not new-condition like the one pictured. We were happy to get $75. Just wanted to show an an example of how circumstances can influence valuations. The seller pushing this item at over $14k either has some very wealthy customers suffering from dementia, or may have some other motive for his extreme valuation, who knows? The writeup is his not ours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This sleek cocktail shaker by Gorham is crafted to resemble a WWI-era eighteen pounder shrapnel shell. It is one of the very few remaining of its kind, complete with all of its original parts, and it is one of the tallest ever produced. Made of copper, silverplate, and brass, the ingenious mixer contains a removable interior strainer and a stack of six small glasses. This rare model is featured on page 22 of The Cocktail Shaker by Simon Khachadourian.

This Gorham artillery shell cocktail shaker is signed and impressed with the manufacturer’s mark on the underside of each section Fac-Simile Eighteen Pounder Shrapnel Shell Patent Applied for in America and Foreign Countries.

Standing a very impressive 22 ½ inches tall and measuring 4 inches in diameter, this cocktail shaker is a showstopper. It was crafted circa 1918, and it is a great value at $14,850. Please contact me at your earliest convenience by e-mail or at our toll-free number, 1-800-544-9440. I look forward to hearing your wishes!

Jen and George and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Perhaps he's filled and emptied it few times.....

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well I guess one can ask any amount they want - doesn't mean they will sell it for that price.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I looked them up and they are being sold by auction houses being estimated from 2000 to 15,000$ Quite a spread. I saw 2 that sold, one was 1100, other went 1500$ (but those prices also included the buyers fees) and they were all looking like the day they were made. I guess being in MINT condition is everything.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Maybe , your market is soft....or...you undersold it ???

KingofThings likes this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

Yes I'm sure we undersell a lot of things since most of our items are, at least, scarce. I had no idea that item was highly valued by anyone, so I could have missed out there, but we like our customers knowing that we just add a modest markup to things in most cases. We try to keep enough revenue coming in to pay operating expenses and maybe a bit more but we're not trying to get rich from our online sales. Our rented buildings cost $10k per month in rent alone, and some months we don't get that much coming in.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I hope business picks up for you ! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

Summer is always slow for us

Draft saved Draft deleted