Samoan Tapa?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Diane R, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Diane R

Diane R New Member

Hello,
    I recently obtained this large tapa cloth. I was told it might be Samoan, and the person has had it since the 40’s, obtained during WW2. It is about 5 ft x 5 ft. I am unable to find what these symbols mean in my internet searches. Can anyone supply me with answers?
    Thank you! 6A4AF3E5-C211-4F3D-AD74-8BD5F563E11B.jpeg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@Taupou , may have some thoughts..

judy and Diane R like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is indeed Samoan, although I have seen Tongan with similar motifs.
    Since I am not 100% sure and can't tell you much about the symbolism, I will leave this one to @Taupou .:)

The Samoan word for tapa is siapo, in case you want to do some googling until Taupou gets here.

komokwa, Diane R and judy like this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, it is a Samoan siapo. However, when it comes to what the symbols "mean," that is not a concept that really applies.

There are only 10 design elements in traditional Samoan patterns, and they are named after elements in nature or the Samoan culture (ie. the net, pandanus leaf, starfish, banana pod, etc.) However, they can be combined in endless combinations, to make designs or patterns which may have meaning only to the makers.

It is the buyer who wants a "story" to accompany every item, that complicates matters. Sometimes there isn't one. Sometimes one will be invented to satisfy the buyer. So I wouldn't be concerned about trying to find what something means.

The main thing is how the item was decorated, which will identify where it originated. Fiji, for example, uses stencils, while Samoa uses either freehand drawing (siapo mamanu), or rubbing on an upeti (siapo tasino.) This was made by first transferring, by rubbing repeatedly, the basic design pattern carved on a carved wooden upeti, to the tapa cloth. Then the decorator highlighted certain design elements repeated on the upeti panels with darker dyes, to create the distinctive design pattern. The elements chosen for highlights, determine the overall "look," and offer unlimited patterns, which don't usually have names or meanings.

If it sounds complicated...it is. And very time-consuming. But depending on the skill of the artist/artists, you may end up with a true work of art.

6. Diane R

Diane R New Member

Thank you for your info!
    This piece means a lot to me due to the manner in which it came into my possession, more so than the design elements.
    Do you feel the age is around the 40’s? That’s when the previous owner got it, and I’d assumed it wasn’t much older than that. Thank you again. I’ve been learning a lot!

Any Jewelry, komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted