Samuri Sword Fighting Practice face/Shoulder guard? Looked like art to me!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 9, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

When I first saw this I thought it was wall art! It was at my friend's second hand shop & I bought it immediatly for $20 even when the owner's wife said she thought it was a sword fighting practice shield.
    I googled Samuri, sword fighting practice face shield but nothing that looks like this came up.
    What is this? (I'm going to hang it on a wall & take a photo just to see what it looks like!)
    Thank you!

SPORT SWORD FIGHTING GUARD 3AA.JPG SPORT SWORD FIGHTING GUARD 2AA.JPG SPORT SWORD FIGHTING GUARD 1AA.JPG SPORT SWORD FIGHTING GUARD 3AA SAMARAI KATANA.JPG

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

Thanks - I think; guess I won't be hanging this on a wall!
    Seriously, thank you
    Wonder if it's ok to sell on eBay?

judy likes this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Sell it locally. An artist will buy it.

6. journeymagazine

That's what I thought it was - thanks

It would be a conversation piece!

7. journeymagazine

Photo just came through from my phone to my email (sent yesterday!) - it looks a lot more "art like" and how it first looked - maybe because of no flash?

SPORT SWORD FIGHTING GUARD 1A_aA.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

That's more elaborate than our household "cancer heads". These "masks" are used for actual head and neck cancers like esophageal, throat, not just for prophylactic prevention. We have two of these from two different people. The other one is larger than this and extends down to the chest. Masks are specifically made for each individual patient.

The patient is locked down during radiation treatment to target the specific area. It also reduces radiation of surrounding areas. Unlike the prophylactic treatment, many head and neck cancer patients go through simultaneous chemo at the same time resulting in severe burning (second and third degree) of the skin and inside the mouth and throat. Check the mask for staining. The burns can leave a bit of a mess. (trying not to gross anyone out) If it isn't stained, I think an artist may be interested in purchasing it.

The area of radiation becomes brittle with age. The plan was to mount this like a deer head, but it crumbled. I may still do something with it.

Radiation maskps1.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

No staining or brittleness - it looks new

10. Mill Cove Treasures

If it was used for prophylactic radiation, it wouldn't, they don't burn.

If it's that clean, you should be able to sell it. I would market it to artists, Halloween enthusiasts, and people who do cosplay.

11. journeymagazine

What do these cost to make?

12. Mill Cove Treasures

Thousands without insurance, but it's useless for any medical purpose now. They don't mass produce these. Precise measurements are taken on each individual patient. It takes a week or two to for the hospital to receive the finished product. It's remains in the radiation department and it's used for every radiation treatment for that patient. Some of those piece of tape, mark the area of the tumor or tumors. The size, the fit, won't work for a different person.

kyratango likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

I know. I was trying to figure out what I can ask for it

14. Mill Cove Treasures

I think Halloween and cosplay people might pay more than an artist but I don't think you can get much. Under $100.

kyratango likes this.
  15. journeymagazine

Ok that's fine - I only paid $20!

Draft saved Draft deleted