Featured Sapphire and diamond ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Dec 11, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

First- Apologies for the very poor photos, the light was shocking and my phone wasn’t playing ball. If you think it’s worth it I will message the seller for better ones.
    I saw this ring today at an antiques fair and liked it.The seller said he thought it had some age. It’s filthy so difficult to see clearly.
    I have a few questions-
    1)The hallmark is full of dirt and unreadable. It is a full hallmark with multiple stamps and 9ct. Does the style tell the approximate age?

2)The sapphire has some darker blue inclusions at either end. It isn’t just a poor photo, they are there. I’ve been reading about cobalt doping but can’t find out if this would colour the whole stone and when it was done. I’m suspecting more modern stones and the whole stone?. Do natural sapphires have inclusions like that?.
    3) It’s tiny, not even big enough for my little finger- can a ring of this style be enlarged without compromising it?
    4) Was going to be a question about the cut of the diamonds but the photos aren’t clear enough for anyone to tell me :banghead:. Thought I was being organised with the photos and cross with myself they are so rubbish as it makes a beautiful little ring look rubbish!.
    Thanks for looking

870E7656-2BED-4499-8BE3-8BF4054CCF05.jpeg BE5F0BA6-0D65-4D3D-B16E-4243FDF402F2.jpeg E075C4EC-935F-437B-93B1-9D6DFDB078A2.jpeg F5CB380D-D543-402F-8B44-0039B86172A0.jpeg 53D6B886-7D20-4CA1-A6A3-BD34DD582F63.jpeg 53BFB686-6ACE-402A-A7BE-9442F2A3355C.jpeg

judy, TraceyB, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, K.:happy: I take it the white is white gold?

Sapphires often have inclusions. The colour doping would be to get a dark sapphire colour, which this isn't.
    The colour of this sapphire looks like it could be Sri Lankan, the famous cornflower blue. But photos against a white background would be fab.

judy, TraceyB, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's very light for a sapphire, looks more like tanzanite or maybe a very pale amethyst, but hard to tell.

If it's small, and of that style, I'd say between the wars. May well be 20s, given it looks like the prongs are gold and just the setting is silver.

You need someone really good to size it and it won't be cheap if you want to retain the hallmark properly.

Needs a good ultrasound, that does. What was the seller asking? I do agree it's very pretty.

judy, TraceyB, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks for your views ladies :)
    No, it’s yellow gold and quite dark at that!. Sorry, the photos are so bad.
    That did occur to me. The seller said it was sapphire, not that that’s anything to go by!
    It’s £145. I was thinking more £100 but wanted to have more of an idea what I was looking at before making an offer.
    I did wonder about that. I’ve got some scrap gold so may be able to do a barter!. Any idea of a rough cost?. The hallmark is quite close to the shoulder. I didn’t include the photo as it was even worse than the others!
    1E592E3D-C419-462A-8CCB-33EB81120E6F.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  5. Ownedbybear

I had a ring resized for himself some years back, and it was sixty quid then. I think 80 to 100 for a proper job. They ought to let in a bit of gold at the back. Barter is a good idea!

I'd say £100 to buy it is fair, given you're going to have to invest to make it wearable.

TraceyB, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Just a guessing game trying trying to determine the stone's origin,it could be a cornflower blue Yogo sapphire.

judy, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Off to google.....

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Forgot to say that the sapphire is faceted, the seller told me it was unusual. Is it?:confused:

judy, TraceyB and Bronwen like this.
  9. Hollyblue

The photos are too out of focus to see how it was faceted.

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Fair point, they are bad!

judy, TraceyB and Bronwen like this.
  11. Hollyblue

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's seriously bitty, I might just run a chain through it and wear it as a pendant. My mom has a family ring that's about a size 3 (US sizing). No one has messed with it. No one can get into it either. :-(

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s a good option :). Shame all the rings I like are antique and my fingers are not antique size!.

judy, TraceyB, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Overhere most sapphires in classic rings like this one are faceted. I am pretty sure it is the same in the UK.

judy, TraceyB and kyratango like this.
  16. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Stunning colour :happy:

judy likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

I'd agree older ones are often faceted like that. Newer stones, if that size, more often table top.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted