Featured Satin Green Handled Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, May 21, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

no suggestions on the maker - but I can suggest a new owner................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It's mine, mine, I tell you it's MINE!!!!!!!
    greg

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Hey! I got here first! Didn't, I? Huh? I was first!

Sorry Kard.............but that piece is too appealing to not comment on it.........I promise I'm finished...............as long as you admit I WAS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

6. kardinalisimo

You both were first. So, you have to share it :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Give it to Mansons, he is going to outlive me. My family will probably toss it in the trash or plant Marigolds in it.:oops:
    greg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. kardinalisimo

I guess if nobody recognizes the maker, it is a more recent piece?

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I can't do much but speculate. There was some satin glass imported from France especially around the depression era. Powder jars mostly and in typical depression green and pink.

And something about the handles on your piece just doesn't seem to fit. You've got a very classic pattern (greek key and panels) on the bowl but the circular finger holds on the vase seem more modern. Frankly, I think the vase would look better without them. Maybe it's a transitional piece from the 1940's?

Like I said this is all speculation. Regardless, it is a beautiful item.
    Don

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. kardinalisimo

Thanks for your input. I was thinking at one point that it could be by LE Smith but not sure anymore.

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'll look in my book for you. It does remind me of LE Smith but I think the color is not one they produced.
    Don

12. kardinalisimo

IMG_4752.JPG IMG_4753.JPG Thanks. I hope my camera is capturing the true color right.

13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I checked my LE Smith book but couldn't come up with anything even close. They did do one piece in greek key but nothing with those type of handles. Tiffin also produced some green satin glass but again I couldn't turn up much. There was also a firm called Taussaunt that produced green satin.

The color looks a little lighter in the second half of the photos. Depression green satin tended more of a lime color than your example. Yours is more a type of sea green I think.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Don

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. kardinalisimo

Ebay member told me that the piece was made by Fostoria in the 60's. He mentioned a book value of $12 but did not reveal the source. Can anyone confirm?

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and gregsglass like this.
  15. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Yes, I found it in Long & Seate's book "Fostoria Tableware, 1944 - 1986. It's part of the Garden Center Items, aka Garden Club Items. 2725/761 Urn 5 1/4" Handled, color: Silver Mist Spruce, made: 1960-1963, BV in 1999 copyright book $12.

I would never have found it without that clue.

judy, cxgirl, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  16. kardinalisimo

Thanks. The ebay member just confirmed the same source. Also added that since 1999 the price probably went down.
    Maybe I'm not using the right key words but can't find another example online.
    How do they figure those values? Based on rarity, color etc?

judy and cxgirl like this.
  17. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

That bowl is lovely Kard, maybe not worth a lot but lovely nevertheless, Joy.

judy likes this.
  18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I was surprised to hear it was a Fostoria product as I never knew Fostoria made satin glass. I was able to find a second reference to the Garden Center line in Ann Kerr's "Fostoria: An Identification and Value Guide of Pressed, Blown, & Hand Molded Shapes. In 1994, Kerr valued it at $25.00 on pg. . I looked at the pricing section and, like a lot of other price guides, Kerr relied on "Collectors and dealers across the country" who "have generously contributed their experience in pricing each item, a mountain of work." pg. 7.

As many of these collectors and dealers would want to maximize the value of their collection and/or stock, I've always felt a little queasy about the valuations assigned this way. In fairness, though, I don't see any other reasonable way pricing information could be obtained. The collectors apparently said they would pay $25.00 to obtain it and the dealers said they would be happy if they sold it for $25.00.

For some reason Kerr did not date this line but includes a #2725/761, Handled Urn, Silver Mist and Spruce Silver Mist 4 1/2". As far as I can tell Fostoria did not make many pieces in Spruce Silver Mist and that could be why I haven't run across it before, or recognized it if I did see it.

I can't imagine there are a lot of folks out there trying to collect Fostoria pieces in Spruce Silver Mist. Most of the shapes in the Garden Center line did not share they same theme and only three or four of those shapes were done in Spruce Silver Mist. There just weren't enough different shapes made in this line and this color.

I never could have found the above reference without the reference provided by msgood2shoe. My Fostoria book was one of the last places I would have looked for information on this piece. And as this piece is not pictured in the Kerr book I would have gone right past it anyway.
    Don

judy, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  19. kardinalisimo

I googled Fostoria Satin Green and could not find a matching color. Maybe they have a different name for the color of mine.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry, I think I unnecessarily confused the issue. Fostoria called the color Spruce Silver Mist. Googling that, though, doesn't bring anything either.
    Don

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted