Satsuma dragon plates antique?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Squidsworth, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

Another one folks, this pair of satsuma style dragon plates... Are they antique, anyone know the mark? Good or bad quality. To my untrained eye, one looks better than the other. What about style and colour, looks a bit untypical? The orange 'lacey' effect background I've not been able to find many examples of... As always any info much appreciated. Thanks.
    IMG-20180221-WA0004.jpg IMG-20180221-WA0003.jpg IMG-20180221-WA0005.jpg IMG-20180221-WA0002.jpg IMG-20180221-WA0006.jpg IMG-20180221-WA0007.jpg

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My opinion only - not antique. First, I was unable to find any Satsuma marks on Gotheborg in red on white with the double outline. Second, the colorway looks much more modern than was used in the period early enough to be about 100 years old.

The characters, however, appear in 2 of the subsections - Futaji and Maruni & Co. None of the examples of those 2 look anything like these plates.

These don't really look like pair either, although it may be that the plainer one was just not finished.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe it is not by a Satsuma manufacturer. This is Moriage, which can be Satsuma, but was made by non-Satsuma manufacturers as well, in Kyoto and other places .
    I read somewhere that Moriage dragons were mainly made in the 1950s, can't find it now.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  4. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

Thanks both that gives me something to go on. I think 50s probably more likely but marks are very similar to what bakersjma suggests, so a bit confusing.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The characters are the same, but the double outside line enclosing them on your plates is not on the Gotheborg examples I pointed out. I was not meaning to suggest that your plates are as old as the "similar" mark examples over there. Sorry if there was any confusion.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have been corrected on this over and over.
    Moriage is bisque not enamel paint.
    So in the style of Moriage but enamel painted.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks cluttered. Just more proof I know next to nothing about Japanese ceramics.:D They never appealed to me as much as other Japanese arts. Or as Chinese ceramics.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted