Satsuma egg

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Maria Serra, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Maria Serra

Maria Serra New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Does anyone know the approx. age or authenticity of this egg?

It measures approx. 4 1/2" tall and just under 4" diameter. It appears to be genuine from what I've read on-line. It has a slight yellowish tint on the bottom, what looks to be the number 90 within a circle and some crazing or intentional crackle. It also has a dull sound not tinny when tapped upon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Maria. Unfortunately something went awry with your picture files. All I see are three picture icons with red Xs on them. Do you need technical assistance?

3. Maria Serra

Maria Serra New Member

Thank you! The pics showed up on my preview. How should I attach them?

4. Bakersgma

Are they on your computer or on a picture hosting site?

5. Maria Serra

Maria Serra New Member

On my computer.

6. Bakersgma

Ok. That's a piece of cake.

Type what you want to say or ask into the Reply box. Position with your cursor where you want the first picture to go.

Click on the Upload a File button below the box (next to Post Reply. That will take you to your computer's Desktop.

Find the picture on your computer in the normal way. Clicking on it will put the file name into the box. Then click Open.

That brings the picture in. Now select from Thumbnail or Full Size. And Voila!

You can then follow the same instructions to add the next and again for the third.

You can also wait until all 3 are retrieved and choose the thumbnail or full size for all of them with one click.

7. Maria Serra

Maria Serra New Member

Thank you! :)

Does anyone know the approx. age or authenticity of this egg?

It measures approx. 4 1/2" tall and just under 4" diameter. It appears to be genuine from what I've read on-line. It has a slight yellowish tint on the bottom, what looks to be the number 90 within a circle and some crazing or intentional crackle. It also has a dull sound not tinny when tapped upon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMAG8114-1.jpg IMAG8119-1.jpg IMAG8116-1.jpg IMAG8115-1.jpg IMAG8117-1.jpg

8. Bakersgma

Good job!

I'm afraid that I can't help, but I'm sure someone can. We have a quite varied membership in terms of specialties and experience.

Very pretty thing, though!

judy likes this.
  9. Maria Serra

Maria Serra New Member

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

May I ask why you think it is Satsuma when there isn't a Satsuma mark? About 99.9% of those I've seen online are fake/reproduction Satsuma eggs. They would by Satsuma *style* eggs. According to one of the replies on the following webpage, Satsuma eggs have been reproduced in masses since the 1970s. Nowwwww, I'm am certainly not a knowledgeable Satsuma collector. Like Baker said, the membership on this forum is quite varied. Do wait for someone more informed than me to chime in.

Read reply #16 by Kutanicollector, 2nd up from the bottom of the page:
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/138106-satsuma-egg

Here is fake/reproduction Satsuma *style* egg that has a number in a circle. Do note it is made in China. Authentic Satsuma eggs have Japanese characters and are only made in Japan.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/71579023/vintage-satsuma-hand-painted-gold

Here are examples of Satsuma markings:
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/satsuma.shtml#introduction

--- Susan

11. Maria Serra

Maria Serra New Member

Yes. From what I've read on the internet it leads me to believe it's a Satsuma. But, I'm far from certain. I've read that if it says handpainted or made in China it's a fake or if it has any English words. I've also read that it doesn't always say Satsuma. It also has a dull thud sound when my finger strikes it.

That's all I can be certain of.

12. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, unfortunately this is one of the Chinese fake Satsuma pieces, the style is not right at all and the crackles in the glaze are also different on genuine old Satsuma ware.

13. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Yes, the style of decoration says about as clearly as can be that this is so-called "Chinese Satsuma."

14. Maria Serra

Maria Serra New Member

Ok. Thank you for letting me know. It's a pretty fake... lol :)

15. AmberFair1980.

AmberFair1980. New Member

What does it mean when it has the number 201 on it and it says made in China backwards

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted