Featured Satsuma Kogo (incense box)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Apr 30, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I bought this sumptuous Satsuma piece yesterday. Part of the mark has me stumped. Reading down from right to left it reads first column Japan (interestingly not the usual Great Japan) followed by two characters I can’t read.​

The centre column is Satsuma Yaki

The third column is Hododa Zo (the maker ).

I imagine that the two lower characters on the right column are either an artist or place name .

Any ideas?

John

View attachment 324570 IMG_2868.JPG Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 12.06.50.png Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 12.07.12.png Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 12.07.31.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's the old way of writing Yokohama - Hododa seems to be one of the most commonly found of the Satsuma marks, and I think I agree with some recent research I have seen suggesting they were mainly a merchant, perhaps also with a workshop under their control. This would account for the large variation in style, quality and marks you see. This piece is very nice for Hododa.

Can I swipe your mark for my database John?

3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Of course. Yes it is one of the best Hododa pieces I have seen. I usually find it quite crudely decorated and have never bought a piece before but the blue enamels and the quality of the painting lift this way above the norm.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Many thanks, and yes it's probably the best decorated piece of Hododa I have seen too, it should do well.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Gorgeous piece!

komokwa and John Brassey like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

one of the nicer works I've seen here.......

nice grab !!!

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted