Satsuma tureen modern/vintage or antique

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Vintagenoob, May 31, 2022.

1. Vintagenoob

Vintagenoob New Member

Hi

im new to collecting vintage and antique items. Picked up this tureen today and trying to verify it’s age and value. I think it’s Satsuma

https://imgur.com/a/Vm22YyG[​IMG]

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I do, too.

Welcome!

Posting pics here is a snap, so you can avoid 3rd party hosting sites. Give it a try!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

NewEngland, Ce BCA and wlwhittier like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

As others have said when you post the images others will be able to see properly. From the imgur pic though I can already see this is a late 20th century Chinese copy. So not technically Satsuma as it's not made in Japan, just a decorative piece made in the style. Value is just as a decorative item.

5. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It appears to be a very well decorated Chinese Royal Satsuma. It is not actually Japanese Satsuma which is what we mean when we speak of Satsuma.

Many people seem to like and admire some of teh Royal Satsuma that come out of China as most of them are hand decorated and sometimes very well decorated to be quite signifigant and distinct. They can sometimes sell quite well, even higher than generic Japanese Satsuma, but Chinese royal satsuma will always be inferior to Japanese Satsuma.

Chinese Royal Satsuma mainly Date from 1980 onwards, so are remarkable for a modern day item that has so much handpainted detail and decoration. Cheap but still quite unique.

These are not that hard to sell, so you wont be stuck with it. However Japanese Satsuma will always make them look like cheap copies.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and Vintagenoob like this.
  6. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

7. Vintagenoob

Vintagenoob New Member

Thanks for the info. I’m trying to figure out the photo issue but I’m technologically confused

8. Vintagenoob

Vintagenoob New Member

Ah got it . Now I know

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You'll get there.;)

[​IMG]

Vintagenoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted