Satsuma Vase - Age? Country of Origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 21, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I realize that this is a mass produced vase, but I am hoping that it is at least Japanese, and maybe older -perhaps the turn of the century (the last one). It is 13 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter at its widest point. It is unmarked. The figures are raised from the surface of the vase; it is gilded; it has a crackle glaze; the underlying color of the pottery is an ivory color. The painting is within the lines, so I know it is not a very modern knockoff. Any thoughts, comments, etc. will be gratefully appreciated.
    IMG_9824.jpg IMG_9825.jpg IMG_9826.jpg IMG_9827.JPG IMG_9838.jpg IMG_9839.JPG IMG_9831.JPG IMG_9832.JPG IMG_9834.jpg IMG_9833.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I nearly spat my drink out when I clicked the invaluable link, they hadn't even bothered to identify the maker and the price for a home drilled and filled one!

I'm pretty sure this is an early 20th or inter-war piece Kiko, it's a very nicely made example of the style too. It is Japanese satsuma, made for export. The raised figures were popularised by Sumida wear around the same period. Yours is a much better piece than the one on invaluable.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Ce. Perfect! I'm so glad you are familiar with this type of work. Normally, I wouldn't chance buying something like this, but my friend, the reseller was so sure that it was old and authentic. I looked at it several times over the last couple of weeks, but was using the wrong search terms to investigate it. It looks like the information would have been pretty sparse anyway based on what James had found. You made me laugh, when you described your reaction to the Invaluable one. :hilarious: You have my sincere and deep appreciation for you taking the time to look at this vase and assess it. Kiko

Draft saved Draft deleted