Featured Satsuma vase - Meiji?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 2manybooks, Oct 23, 2020.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Looking for some opinions on this vase as to age and quality (is it worth getting) - it is coming up at a local sale. Limited views available. I cannot find the mark in Gotheborg, but assume the divided circle design in the decoration is the Shimazu crest(?). 7" tall. Looks like there might be some minor damage. (@blooey) Satsuma vase (BA1020).jpg Satsuma vase 2 (BA1020).jpg Satsuma vase 3 (BA1020).jpg Satsuma vase 4 (BA1020).jpg Satsuma vase 5 (BA1020).jpg Satsuma vase mark (BA1020).jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The correct orientation of the mark is in the second picture. I don't think I have ever seen the Shimazu mon incorporated into the design like this.

2manybooks likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

Yes, I cropped and rotated that image. :)

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I said that for those who might not know and would want to go looking for themselves. ;) The first 2 characters on the right column are Dai Nippon, which are often included in marks of the time circa the early 1900s, including those that are "honorific" of earlier periods.

I happen to think it is lovely!

CheersDears, 2manybooks and blooey like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes, Meiji, I have seen the crest in the body of the design, so no problem with that, the only concern would be the damage but if you are OK with that. go ahead, nice piece, quality level 7-8 IMO so pretty good!

CheersDears, 2manybooks and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It is a beautiful piece. Let us know if you wind up getting it!

CheersDears and 2manybooks like this.
  7. 2manybooks

Thank you, all. I feel more confident about pursuing it. We shall see.

aaroncab likes this.
  8. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It's exactly as others have said. I prefer the more delicate Satsuma myself but for this type, it's a good example. All three characters on the right are Dai Ni Hon. The final two characters on the left are "Zan Made". So you need to translate the top left to find the maker. If I have time I'll check my Japanese Kanji book later.

komokwa, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

CD46154F-75F2-411F-B24B-D1F4DDFE7AF0.jpeg I think the signature is Shizan You will find another Shizan with a different signature if you search but I haven’t found this one.

10. 2manybooks

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted