Featured Satsuma?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Smerc59, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Smerc59

Smerc59 Member

Greetings, I am trying to figure out age and value of this piece it measures about 17 inches tall, perfect condition. Thank you for you help!

[​IMG][​IMG]

judy, komokwa, Boland and 1 other person like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous Smerc. It looks like Kutani to me, but I don't know the mark.
    @Mat , @Ce BCA .:)

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

As @Any Jewelry said it is Kutani, not Satsuma, late 19th century in date.

Mark needs rotating 90 deg ccw and the kanji read in columns top to bottom starting on the right. On the right it says Kaga no Kuni, which is the old name for the Kutani region, often used as a historic reference on such pieces.

Center line something like 恰原製 (made by Kyohara)

Left line 三市堂 Sanchido (a location) or may mean Three Cities Temple.

If you search online for Meiji period Kutani you should get an idea for prices, it is not going to be a high value as such items aren't of much interest in their home market.

I don't have that mark in my database currently, so if you are happy for me to do so I will add it in.

kentworld, judy, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's still lovely !:)

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I always love that rusty red and gold of Kutani, and that figurine finial is very sweet. And it has a fan, what's not to like!:happy:

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Ce BCA: is your data base available to anyone or is there a subscription or what? tx

judy likes this.
  7. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

I would say the Kutani is meiji era, as BCA said, Kutani does not sell for very much, however if you find a really beautiful piece then do try get it cheap. It might not be the best investment, but you can get some beautiful works of art as Kutani is simply a heavily undervalued part of the market.

This Vase in question might not be a work of art but it is of quite good quality, it has that quality you usually find with 19th century Kutani and it also has a lid, which is bonus :) The backmark shows it is more than just generic kutani and likely by an important studio or artist.

Satsuma on the other hand is a better investment. I am finding it harder and harder to get genuine good quality satsuma. There is alot of Ko Kutani around which can be very beautiful and the work and labour is very apparant.

@BCA I would love to hear more about your database.

BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I agree. I for one have always loved Kutani, and prefer it to most Satsuma.

Draft saved Draft deleted