Featured Satyr ring, tiny hallmarks...not recognised

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Smudged, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Smudged

Smudged Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm normally fairly good at researching hallmarks but these have stumped me at the moment. European, possibly Austro Hungarian style but i'm wondering if they could be Hanau instead as they don't really seem to fit. Then again, they are so small (pin head size, literally) it's hard to make them out. I think one is a tree? the other might be a head but im not sure. Anyone have any bright ideas? I think its 800 silver judging from the colour but i've not tested it yet.

pan-ring-1.jpg pan-ring-1.jpg pan-ring-2.jpg pan-ring-3.jpg

KSW, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely ring, Smudged. The style doesn't scream Austro-Hungarian at me, but not all Austro-Hungarian is recognizable as such.
    Why don't you try photographing the marks against a white background? That way you have more light. You can crop the photo afterwards.

Xristina, KSW, Smudged and 2 others like this.
  3. Smudged

Thanks :) I did take the photos against white as well but these came out clearer for the detail. The marks are only aprox 2mm in size so minute!
    If British I would say aprox 1900 - 1910 when there was a surge of interest in pan and satyrs but the marks aren't English so... I did consider Italian or Florentine as well.

Any Jewelry and Xristina like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I know, tiny marks are a pain! I just spent about 10 minutes trying to work out if a tiny Dutch oak leaf mark had rounded leaf tips or pointy ones. There is a difference in dates, but I wish they had just changed to a different symbol.:rolleyes:

5. Any Jewelry

How about the far north, Sweden? I don't know if it makes sense at all, but I found this in a German silver marks book.
    'Jahrhundert' means century.

upload_2020-6-25_14-58-50.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  6. Smudged

That actually looks closer than anything else I've found, thanks so much! I was going through the Millers guide on my tablet but nothing looked as close as yours on there.
    Back to research further tonight then!
    Yes, I agree, tiny hallmarks are a real pain...the amount is squinting you have to do even through a good loupe.. :joyful:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

I am pretty sure that the ring is much younger than the hallmark; given the way it was cast I would date it in the 20th century

Draft saved Draft deleted