Featured Sax Fifth Avenue Made in Italy leather purse handbag

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Contemporary, no doubt. I'm thinking just generic Sax Fifth Avenue line --would I be right about that? No maker attached?

Also any keywords for the way this is made with those strips of leather?

Purse looks unused, from an estate sale yesterday. Approx 14" across top, down to 7" at base, 9" high. (Would I call that a "medium" sized bag?)

General thoughts as to age, or anything at all. I'm not really a purse reseller, but thought this had a nice look with some work in it, although guessing those leather strips are somehow assembled my machine.

Mostly could use some descriptive words for selling. Thanks.

sax1.jpg sax3.jpg sax4b.jpg sax5.jpg

Will get a better pic of the label before I list:

sax2b.jpg
    sax9.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Are there any Logos on the zipper pull?

ulilwitch and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Nothing on there. Good idea, though.

ulilwitch and i need help like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

4TH picture down you can see a woven pull. It does not look like there is a logo.
    I cannot figure out the search terms, either...yet.

i need help and ulilwitch like this.
  5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a small tote bag. Also some hobo bags were this size in the 60"s. I do not know about the stitching.

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Just noticed my photos might be sort of getting a fish eye look, photo taken facing down. The bag actually isn't as big as the photos make it look. (Good to notice this, actually for listing.)

I've got one "purse friend" who is OBSESSED with designer bags, etc. I can show her this in person for general thoughts, but might take a few weeks. I know this isn't a designer bag, but Sax Fifth Ave is pretty upscale, esp a few decades ago, so want to be able to list properly. Not even sure this style is desirable, but the bag has a nice sort of layered look with all those strips of leather.

All additional thoughts welcome.

ulilwitch and i need help like this.
  7. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It also reminds me of the old straw bucket purses. At least this will give you something to look up. It's very cute. The closest I can come to stitching is ribbed leather.

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  8. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    This is the closest so far....it just says Basket Weave, which is obviously vague.

i need help, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Handsome, isn't it? And I agree even item with house brand Saks label will be good quality. Not going to be too old.

Debora

i need help, ulilwitch and Lucille.b like this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

First thing is to remember-it’s SAKS FIFTH AVENUE.

You have a “vintage” Saks Fifth Avenue Italy basket weave leather tote market bag. It has a leather wrapped barrel toggle closure. Yes, it is machine stitched.You can says it’s a Saks private label.

Retailers are pretty much trapped by set suggested retail prices on name brands so companies with big buying power will go directly to the factories (in this case a handbag factory) and buy a large quantity of a specific piece which is the slightly altered (closure detail, etc) to make it exclusively available for the retailer (in this instance Saks). Since the exact item then doesn’t exist in the market, Saks can take a longer margin(markup) on the item since they also bought it for less as it was discounted for a quantity buy. The risk to the retailer is that they have to pay upfront without any terms and since it was “private” labeled the item can’t be resold to anyone else. The retailer then “owns” it even if it doesn’t retail or there’s a problem unless there’s a major problem...like the handle falls off immediately.

It’s a nice bag but it’s such a generic shape that I can’t date it but my gut guess with that tag and stamping would be 80s/90s.

Figtree3, Bakersgma, judy and 4 others like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

This bag is definitely not a bucket bag which is a very specific shape more closely resembling a feed bag.

Lucille’s bag can be called a tote, satchel, basket or market bag.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This Manusr Gavriel handbag is described as a "triangle tote."

Debora

mansur-gavriel-tote.w600.h396.jpg

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. Lucille.b

Thanks for all of the additional comments.

Good catch, Reader. I was even googling "SAX" Fifth Avenue.

Super helpful information here. I am ready to list!

Figtree3, judy, reader and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted