Featured Scarab... artifact or artifaux?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ninabeth, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

I'm assuming faux, repro, museum gift shop trinket because I picked it up in a thrift shop, lack of wear, and valuable Egyptian antiquity finds only happen to other people . I haven't seen a similar one online yet. It feels quite heavy for it's volume and has an icy, silky-stone feel to it (not resin). Jasper came to mind when I first handled it.

TIA for input!

scarab-1.jpg scarab-2.jpg scarab-3.jpg It's pretty large. There's no space between the "lid" and the surface is rests on, so its not a box.

2. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Scarab designs are very varied, but something about the shape of this makes me think it’s another beetle. Increasingly there are ethical issues with owning Egyptian artefacts that have no provenance, so you’re better off if it’s not the Pharaoh’s ring dish ;)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This doesn't look like an "antiquity" to me. Something made in modern times, but no idea its purpose.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like an ink stone.

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

They'll have to pry my arthritic fingers from my flat mystery beetle thingy . I'd love it even if it came from a kiosk at Cairo Int'l Airport. It's not speaking ancient to me... but I'd love to know what it's for. And yes - it did remind me a lot of an ink stone! Thanks, everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted