Schneebaum Abstract Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Picked this up at a thrift store this afternoon. 48 X 30 oil on hardboard, Signed Schneebaum 54. I looked in Davenports and Who Was Who and Tobias Schneebaum is the only one that shows up with that last name. Examples I found are not similar to this painting. Hoping someone might be able to come up with a better example and a signature example. IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0985.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Anything on the back?

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a signature from a later work for comparison.

Debora

H2373-L108406387.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

we have to think about "each to their own"; much abuse since Roman times...
    no surprise that he lead a crazy life, probably being aware of his possible fate as Jew and homosexual, if his family hadn't emigrated.

6. Lithographer

No, writing or documentation on the back.

7. Lithographer

Thanks. Same kind of hand made frame. Structurally the painting is similar, just wider brush strokes. I suspect they are abstracted images from his time in Peru. Mine kind of reminds me of looking through tall grass.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Word of caution: There is not enough "evidence" at this moment to definitively attribute your work to the painter Tobias Schneebaum.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's another signature from a work contemporaneous to yours.

Debora

IMG_2867_org.jpg

10. Lithographer

Yes of course, a good part of my collection lives in that "probably by" category because so many things come from thrift stores and estate sales and putting together a line of ownership or provenance is next to impossible.

11. Lithographer

I found one very similar to mine, auction titled "Three Abstract Oil on Board".
    Image was tiny 2213011.jpg

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't see resemblance to yours. Starting with the fact that yours is a landscape and the three are figural.

Debora

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. when you read his biography, he has extreme breaks and changes of direction. I'd not be amazed if he changed style, signature and colors like he did with his places of living.

14. Lithographer

I meant the manner in which the signature was written.

Draft saved Draft deleted