Scientific Illustration by Johann Christian Daniel von Schreber

Discussion in 'Art' started by Rutherford, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford New Member

Hello All,

I am in possession of a mammal print of Felis Serval Buff from the work entitled "Die Saugethiere in Abbildungen nach der Natur mit Beschreibungen" by Johann Christian Daniel von Schreber. It is uncut from the original parts. I am told the author studied the natural world extensively, including medicine, natural science, and botany, which he learned from Carol Linneaus and began this important multi-volume work in 1774. It was published from 1778-1781 and many of the mammals were given binomial scientific names following Linnean taxonomy for the first time in this work. The print is on chain-linked paper that measures 7 3/4" x 10 1/2." As far as I know, the image is hand illustrated, although perhaps someone here can speak to this.

The page is in beautiful condition. I am posting to ascertain its significance and value. I am interested in parting with this piece and wonder also if anyone may have any recommendations for interested collectors within the natural scientific community or otherwise. Being neither a scientist or artist, I am a bit out of my depth where these things are concerned and want to make sure that, if indeed it holds an important place in scientific history, it finds its way back to academia, a museum or other such institution or community. I am most appreciative of any information anyone can offer me.

Here is a photograph of the illustration. Apologies for any glare coming off the glass:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkb8vbtqua4b8qb/IMG_0287.jpg?dl=0

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Rutherford

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board
    Many people will not click on links.

Your picture needs to be 1MB or smaller (800x600)

If you are using your phone. Email them to yourself as medium. Save them then post from there. Click Full Image.

i need help likes this.
  3. Rutherford

Rutherford New Member

Thanks, I tried that, but the “add picture” button asks for an image link. When I paste the link in to the box I get an error. This also happens if I try pasting the image directly into the forum.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What's the reason for the error?
    The pictures have to be a certain size or smaller. Same for copying and pasting.

i need help likes this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Edler von Schreber was - in the good sense - a collector and editor that didn't leave his university very often and may not have seen a single one of all these animals in real. he was a generalist having studied under Carl von Linné and tried to classify and name all the unknown beasts and plants.
    IMO a single plate of over 50 is probably a sad remnant of a mistreated book or folder that fell apart and won't pay very much.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, cut from a book. Would have been hand-tinted. Condition very good as noted above. The type of thing sold by a print dealer and likely to end up in a frame, as it has. (From mat, sometime in the 1960s/1970s.) I would think value decorative. Individual sheets don't seem to have great value. A number of others on offer on internet. This one with a £85.50 asking price (which may be high given its condition.)

https://www.vinterior.co/art/paintings/antique-print-of-a-bull-by-schreber-c-1780

Debora

Fid and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted