Scottish brass vessel

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ALittleBit, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

This rather impressive heavy bit of brass came from an auction and was described in the catalogue as a 'Scottish brass vessel'. I thought a bit further along and added 'Celtic' and 'Arts and Crafts'. I couldn't find any marks at all. So, what I'm hoping is that it might be Scottish Arts and Crafts and maybe Keswick / Newlyn School. Am I in the right ballpark? Talking rubbish? I'm really sticking my neck out here but it is a nice thing. It is extremely heavy. I would really like to know what the pair of prongs from the lip at the back are for? They curve slightly up at the ends. About one and a bit inches long. I had a photo of them but I can't get the gismo to accept it. Very strong, not just for decoration. Height is 33cm; width is 15 cm at the narrower part. I had a good look at the marks on the bottom but they do not make sense. More just tarnish or damage. Maybe something underneath. Anyhow, o
    ver to you all. Scottish vessel a.jpg Scottish vessel b.jpg Scottish vessel b.jpg Scottish vessel d.jpg Scottish vessel e.jpg
    Re the photos, someone has put furniture protectors on the base.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think you are.:) I can see this being related to Glasgow school, not necessarily distinctly Glasgow. Maybe an independent Scottish Arts&Crafts artist?
    Keswick usually has intricate floral/plant designs that cover most of the surface.
    I am not familiar with Newlyn brass, just painting.:bag:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    judy likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think Glasgow, with that Greek Key border. Newlyn usually has some reference to sea related stuff. Keswick is KSIA marked, too. I do think this may be ecclesiastical with that cross. Meant to attach/anchor to a wall or rail, probably had a glass liner and took flowers in a church.

Doubt you'll find a proper attribution, but it looks late 19th ish to me.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, the Greek key border looks odd for Glasgow. General Scottish Arts&Crafts has my vote.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced it's Scottish made. There were scores of Birmingham makers and factories using Celtic motifs.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll be able to attribute this. I am thinking it could be quite a bit newer than the A&C period.

7. Old Poet Girl

Old Poet Girl Member

This reminds me of the tall match boxes in a Catholic Church, near the candles. I was thinking a snuffer would hang on the hook.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

All your input happily taken on board, many thanks. Old Poet Girl, I agree, the cross sort of gives it away. I thought maybe church, candle holder or, as you suggest, matches, and it makes sense then for the prongy things to hold a tool such as a snuffer. Happy to just accept Arts & Crafts. I looked for K for Keswick but no luck :( The flower vase idea has merit also but not sure about a glass liner although you'd need one. .

9. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Breaking news! I may have solved this one. I found an item called a 'fireside companion' which holds tools for fireplace and fire maintenance with the same little prongs at the back of the lip for holding a brush. Photo attached. What do you think? This one is Glasgow School, not saying mine is. If this is correct, then mine might have been made for a rectory of some such establishment. Brass fireside companion.jpg

Figtree3, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think you're on the right track.....