Featured Scottish Family Brought these to America

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Crysta L Swindell, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Crysta L Swindell

Crysta L Swindell New Member

Hi. When part of my family came to America from Scotland, their only possession were these 2 tapestries. They are very, very old. They look almost to be made of cotton? I wondered if anyone could chime in with information about the period or style. I cannot look on the backs because my Great Grandma had them specially framed and I cannot get into the frames. Thank you,

Crysta

Attached Files:

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Hello Crysta. Welcome to Antiquers.
    The costumes depicted date from the second half of the eighteenth century. But the textiles may not be that old. They could, for example, be 19th century Victorian romanticized views of Scottish folk life. Unfortunately, we will need clearer, more detailed photographs to tell you anything about the technique used to create the textiles. We need to be able to see individual threads to determine if the design is woven, embroidered, or needlepoint, etc. It would also be helpful to know the size.

judy, Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

When did your family come from Scotland.

The one looks like tapetries from Belgium or France that were popular in the early 1900s to 1930s.
    Do you know if any of the men in the family fought in WWI and were in France or Belgium?

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  4. Crysta L Swindell

Crysta L Swindell New Member

Thank you. I will take clearer pics tonight.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that you should click on "full image" when you post your photos. It will allow us to see them more easily, and be able to magnify them somewhat.

kyratango and judy like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice -- What size are they?

judy likes this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Also, when did your family come here?

I suspect these are older than what we normally see here, but without seeing the backs of the work (I assume they're hidden by the frames?)... well, I'm not sure what we'll be able to tell.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The age of an item is often dependent on the age of the person posting. I am nearly 70 and my grandson would tell you I'm very, very old. ;). Without better images I'd agree with cluttered that they are typical European machine made tapestries dating from the war years that were brought back here as souvenirs. I have a bunch of them that my uncles brought back to my mother and aunts.

kyratango and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted