Scottish Highland Dresser - porridge drawer?!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Wentworth, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Wentworth

Wentworth Member

I was reading an article about Welsh dressers, and it mentions dressers from other geographical areas:

“The Scottish Highland dresser, for example, had a porridge drawer — a tin-lined drawer into which hot porridge was poured and left to set. When cold, slices could be cut and taken out by crofters working out on the land. Delicious!”

I have searched for some images of what this could have looked like, but found nothing at all.

Would anyone have an image of a dresser with a porridge drawer they could post here? Thank you!

Born2it and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It sounds like a made up thought from a seller.
    greg

3. Wentworth

Wentworth Member

No this is not a single seller saying it but an article. And a quick google comes up with enough mentions, not just on sites like Reddit. That’s not to say one should believe everything you read online though!
    Wentworth

Born2it likes this.
  4. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

WHA? That's mad.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

https://electricscotland.com/poetry/douglas/oskar2.htm

"In the highlands and islands the porridge was poured into a drawer in the kitchen dresser or cabinet and left to set. In the morning, fresh porridge was made for breakfast and a slice or two of the now set porridge from the drawer was taken to the workplace, usually out in the fields attending to the crops or animals. Any babies born to these poorer families were put to “bed” in a drawer, usually above the porridge drawer, and the slow rising heat acted as a kind of central heating for the well-wrapped child."

The drawer would have to be set up in such a way that the set porridge could be removed in slices. I can't imagine a slice of porridge being as cohesive as a slice of bread... bwdik.

Wentworth and ritzyvintage like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I wonder if it's a repurposed drawer. My old sideboard has a cellarette drawer and while mine isn't metal lined (though it could have been at one time) some are.

Wentworth and ritzyvintage like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

As a kid, my mother often served hot "Cream of Wheat" (farina) for breakfast, with milk & sugar. I hated those mornings!

Then she poured the leftovers into an empty aluminium ice-cube tray, sans the divider and put it in the frig.

The next morning she cut slabs, pan-fried it in butter and served it with maple syrup. I LOVED those mornings!

Born2it, Bronwen, Wentworth and 3 others like this.
  9. ritzyvintage

Goldilocks was killed for eating someone else's porridge.

The murderers did it with their bear hands.

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  10. ritzyvintage

I much prefer to keep my porridge nice & warm in the tumble dryer. LOL

11. ritzyvintage

In the name of science, I've just tried putting porridge in my drawer.

Trust me, it ruins your clothes. .

Born2it and wiscbirddog like this.
  12. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Actually, she wasn't killed.

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Sounds like what is done with left over polenta, that slices nicely :)

Born2it likes this.
  14. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Dresser is used today for clothes but kitchen cabinets or sideboards with drawers were also called dressers.

15. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Actually, on the farm, we made a lot of mixtures of meat (left over bits such as ears, tails, guts), gels (from hooves) and grain that were put in large pans on the cold porch to set. Then they could be cut, sometimes fried and served. Liver puds and ponhorst (sp?) come to mind. They would be good for a long time. So certainly a possibility.

blooey, Bronwen and Wentworth like this.
  16. ritzyvintage

Yummy! What times dinner? LOL

blooey likes this.
  17. Wentworth

Wentworth Member

Thanks for the great mix of responses!
    And that’s incredible if true!!

18. Wentworth

Wentworth Member

Yes, my guess would be a drawer was given over to that use rather than being pre designed. A tin lining could have easily been made-to-fit any drawer in the dresser and then simply slotted in (like a square cake tin).

This would explain the lack of any photos because the ‘porridge drawer’ would actually be any old drawer that someone placed a tin box into...

ritzyvintage likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Well I just went and had a better look, actually there are two drawers that have remains of tin/lead-like lining. They are the two large square deep drawers left and right.

Sorry for the terrible photos, I'm rearranging and there is stuff piled in front of it.

img20210210_165019.jpg img20210210_165042.jpg

bpvxvqd and Wentworth like this.
  20. Wentworth

Wentworth Member

Wow fascinating! Maybe this was a common method for storing food?

Draft saved Draft deleted