Featured Scottish Silver Anchor Agate Pin Marks Help

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marie Forjan, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi, I have this nice Scottish sterling and agate anchor pin.

ScotishAgateSSAnchorPinFt1Sm.jpg

ScotishAgateSSAnchorPinMrkSm.jpg

I think I have the marks IDed but they confuse me. What I am seeing is sterling, Chester, 1910. The closest maker's mark I can find is W•H•L for William Henry Leather; later W H Leather & Son, Pitsford Street, Birmingham. I must be wrong about that given the Chester mark, right?

This comes from silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Chester-WD-WH.html#WH

WHL_Marks.jpg

scoutshouse, Zinnie, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I don't know, but LOVE THAT PIN!!!!!:):):)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think I understand your confusion, but it is not uncommon to find smiths whose main address is in one city also being registered for assay purposes in another city. Did I get that right?

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Most of these were made in Birmingham, so a Birmingham maker looks right. The combination with the Chester mark could be because of what Bakers said.
    Chester silver is much more collectible (rare) than Birmingham, but I don't know if that would be the case with your lovely little anchor. Still, Scottish pebble jewellery also sells well, and it still has all the stones.

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE the pin Marie !!! ... Joy.

scoutshouse, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Thank you everyone, it makes some sense now :cool:

8. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I can't recall how I got onto this site (maybe thru something here? it was just last week...) but here are quite a few anchors (you have to scroll halfway down or so) along with other very lovely agate and pebble pieces, to get a price range, if you were curious: https://www.jewelscollectingdust.com/scottishpebbleenameletc.htm

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Jewelscollectingdust is a member here. ;)

10. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

lol - makes total sense then! Thank you for clarifying, B-gma. :) Do they give discounts to members here? jkg! Just that agate crescent moon...and I'm half Scottish...have always loved agates...tho never been to Scotland...sigh... :rolleyes:

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Probably more embarrassed by the blanket. :hilarious:

13. Marie Forjan

All I can say is I have been lost for the last hour looking at the amazing items she has for sale!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link :)

14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Zinnie you should go if you can! I have a dear friend there and visited for the first time earlier this year. It's a beautiful country! I can't wait to go back!

judy, anundverkaufen, Zinnie and 2 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I agree. I love Scotland.:happy:

judy, Zinnie and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I did the same! You bet. ;)

judy likes this.
  17. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I hope to!! I've been reading a blog by a Scottish hiker for years now and he posts photos of course - so, so lovely. And I found my ancestors in a small southwestern graveyard near the Galloway Forest, nobody still alive (that I know of) or relative enough for me to just move there (my heart's desire, dashed by rules...). But I love the Highlands also so I'd have to stay at least a month, I think, to get everywhere, at least once. :D Shetland too, of course! The wish is out there for the cosmos to consider, while it simmers on my back burner, and I give it a stir now and then. ;)

judy, anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Make sure you take good insect repellent if you do the Highlands in summer. Ah, the midges.

@Jewelscollectingdust ought to have a health warning on that site. Far too tempting. ;)

popsycat, Zinnie and i need help like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I would certainly visit Edinburgh as well. Travel around all of Scotland, if you have the time, Borders, Fife, West coast, Hebrides, all worth a visit as well. Glasgow and Helensburgh for the Mackintosh and Glasgow School of Arts interest. If you like archaeology and have the time, go to Orkney. And, and.....:D

judy and Zinnie like this.
  20. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I've read about those midges! I think about Rosie and Charlie on the African Queen...hopefully not that bad but also I've read to definitely bring netting, just in case.
    That's the plan, if the Celtic gods allow! And goddesses. You forgot geology - I'll have to buy another suitcase just to bring rocks back. :D That's if I don't find an old sober experienced climber ;) who wants a hiking partner to marry so I can stay. LOL Stranger things have happened...especially in Scotland (I've ALSO read). :eek::hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted