Scrap or Sell 1 Gold Earring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KevinM, May 30, 2016.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I got this 1 18k Gold and Blue Sapphire earring in a grab bag yesterday and I'm not sure what to do with it. The earrings weighs about 1.40 grams. I'm on the edge on selling it or scraping it for the gold since I think the value may be about equal? Although, it's a very nice earring and it looks old. How old is this earring and what should I do or would you do with the earring?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    HPIM3570.JPG
    HPIM3573.JPG HPIM3574.JPG HPIM3577.JPG

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

You could try it as an auction starting at scrap plus a little and see if it flies

I'd probably just put it in the baggy
    baggy 001.JPG

3. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks Terry, that's what I was thinking. Not really worth the time, efforts, material, etc... I usually have a similar baggy with odd and end and damaged pieces...

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I know it's not high value item , but I'll put forth that it looks to have a high level of quality, looks hand made, & could be turned into a nice ring .
    That earring back looks hand made , & 18K is nothing to sniff at.....so maybe test the stones for quality before just scrapping it.

jackolin likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's big enough. bend the earring back into a loop. Instant pendant. It may or may not work properly, but if not you can always cut the back off and have a jeweler solder something back there for you. I did it with an 18k single once, but it was a screwback. I clipped off the screw mechanism and bent the remains of the earring back into a pendant bail.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what about all the peeps who wear only one earring these days ?
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

evelyb30, not a bad idea with making it into a pendant or even a ring as komokwa said.

komokwa, I've generally found it difficult to sell a designer or quality single earring at a reasonable price.

Draft saved Draft deleted