Scrap this masonic ring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jul 19, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this ring and boy is it junked. The shank portion is like some regular base metal, not even silver. However on top is a big chunk of gold. I haven't tested it but it looks like 10k. All together the ring weighs 18 grams. Should I scrap this thing? How can I get the gold off the top to get a proper weight? What do you guys think?
    20190719_175636_resized.jpg 20190719_175643_resized.jpg 20190719_175649_resized.jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Someone soldered the top piece onto a silver signet ring,you can try to pry off the top or by a jeweler's saw that might come in handy.The ring looks like it was sized up in size with added "silver".

mirana, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see scrap.

Debora

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Alas, it's done for. Melt away.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I took a watch case opener blade and a mallet..... one smack and it came off smoothly. Poor solder job! The good news is I filed a little of the solder off and it is still gold underneath, so hopefully 10k! It weighs 8.5 grams

I will scrap the gold and may sand the remaining solder off and polish the silver to just wear it like a blank signet ring.

7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Can we see a picture when you are done with the restoration? I think it is a nice ring.

8. MarkBlemish

MarkBlemish New Member

It’s a nice Mexican Biker ring. Most of these are mixed metal bodies and copper or brass fixtures. Guessing no gold so no melt value. Would sell on eBay somewhere around $100-$200 unless it was gold then kinda rare so more. From the 1940s or 50s.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

let's ask @spartcom5 if he scrapped it in 2019 , or they turned him away?

How do you know about Mexican biker rings ?

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This thread is 5 years old, Mark. Circumstances have probably changed.

11. komokwa

[​IMG]

searching does offer up some similarities though...;):happy:

12. MarkBlemish

MarkBlemish New Member

Back in the early 90s I found one. Years after finding it I did lots of googling and finally found some similar to mine. The best source for info is a facebook group Vintage Mexican Biker Rings. You can search for a post there by John Dickerman that begins, “Fellow ring heads, the "Mexican Biker Ring" is surrounded with mystery, rumors, fantasy and legend.” That post is probably the most straightforward, solid info you’ll find.

komokwa likes this.
  13. MarkBlemish

MarkBlemish New Member

Yes. I came across the ring here while searching for another style of Mexican Biker ring and thought that even though years had passed it’d be good for people to know something about that type of ring.

komokwa likes this.
  14. MarkBlemish

MarkBlemish New Member

And this would be a modern reproduction.

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

So there's agism here..... how , off hand, can you date this type of ring ?

Was yours made in the 90's...or well before ?:)

16. MarkBlemish

MarkBlemish New Member

Mine is probably from the 1930s. It’s a silver ring with a cowboy on a rearing horse. It’s done in a kind of art deco style. Since finding out about them I got kind of hooked and have quite a few but the first one I found is probably the best.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted