SE Asia: Malaysia/Brunei lounge

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Danial Bridges, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Danial Bridges

Danial Bridges New Member

Hi all,
    I have recently acquired an old lounge suite.
    I’m told that it has been designed based on the King of Brunei’s furniture. After some googling it appears to be the case however without the “gold”.
    The frame is hard carved timber.
    Has anyone seen something like this before? Would anyone know of a likely value?

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

can you provide close ups of the carving? Hard for me to see the furniture. Thanks!

3. Danial Bridges

Yes, I’ll take a few close ups in the morning.

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The furniture in the Sultan of Brunei's palace seems to be a gilded interpretation of French 18th and 19th century pieces.

Your pieces look more like an iteration of furniture designed by Karpen in Chicago ca. 1900. Without closer pictures my feeling is that these are later 20th Century adaptations (ca. 1960s-70s) of Karpen's rococo and baroque designs.

Unfortunately, here in the real world there is not alot of demand for pieces such as yours, whether you have the ca. 1900 "real deal" or a later, vintage version (I suspect the latter). It's easy to over value chairs. In my part of the U.S. Midwest I would expect to see this pair sell for $200-$300 at auction on a good day.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Danial.
    The Sultan of Brunei has numerous lounge suites. I can find one which is gilded, but it looks different from yours.
    As Ghopper said, much of it seems to be inspired by antique European furniture, but that is the general style of palace furniture around the world.
    It is also a style that has been reproduced in Asia, especially in neigbouring Indonesia, in particular on Java and Madura.

This is yours:
    [​IMG]

This is the Brunei Palace gilded one I found:
    [​IMG]

You can see more of the carving and the rounded shape of the top on this site:
    https://bruneipe.dfa.gov.ph/newsroo...ngs-on-brunei-sultan-s-73rd-birth-anniversary

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Doubled the size......

X3E9F998BE-6418-4902-8353-D0C7CD421EA7-edit.jpeg

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That upholstery is very 1980s . Certainly is a taste specific set ,isnt it ?

8. Danial Bridges

It’s certainly an acquired taste!
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t expect it to be greatly valuable however as I’m not a collector I was curious given how strange it is. Although it looks strange, it’s surprisingly comfortable.

9. Danial Bridges

Given how poor the Aussie Dollar is, that’s a pretty good price!

Draft saved Draft deleted