Searching a german town with a W…

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lecollectionneur, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

I just finish to clean a pair of good silver candlesticks, just a part of the lot I have to clean before Christmas, why people don't give them in summer for that!!!:banghead:

The hallmarks are clear, 12 Löthige, german made, 18th century, but I can't found what town is with that "W", impossible for me to be sure that is Weimar for example, do you have more precisions please ?

[​IMG]

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's not a city "mark",silver was removed for testing fineness.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not the zig-zag, Holly, the W below the crossed swords in the right hand punch.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

There are several towns with the crossed sword mark, but I can't find crossed swords and a W.
    All I know (or think I know) is that 12 lot is north German, 13 lot is south German. The southern makers thought 12 was not up to their standards.
    I don't know where the line was drawn exactly, but search above an imaginary central line, that should narrow it down at least.
    It is the only-three-more-weeks-til-Christmas-panic.:playful:

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3 more weeks? I think you need to look at the calendar again, AJ. ;)

I ran into the same problem - crossed swords aplenty, but none with a W.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Theo shows it as Weissenfels, Friedrich August Thuemmel, circa 1800...

weissenfels-mark_thuemmel-maker_theo.JPG

~Cheryl

7. Any Jewelry

I was guessing Lecollect has been working on it for some time, I read in another thread he cleaned and blackened it already.:)

8. Any Jewelry

Who is Theo?

Weissenfels is in Sachsen-Anhalt, just north of the imaginary north south divide.

9. DragonflyWink

10. Any Jewelry

I know the site, and noticed that permission thing just today. It doesn't say how to get permisson or register either, everything is just blank.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

Not sure what is going on, but believe it has something to do with some new privacy law over there? Hopefully he'll be able to get it opened up for the public again...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

The law was introduced in may (we have it throughout the EU), and I have visited the site since then. I never registered, and in that case it is not a problem anyway.
    Maybe someone who did register reported him? Even then, they are quite lenient towards small businesses and sites, the give them more time to get privacy measures organized.

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the site hasn't gone to "https",if it doesn't have the encryption security update or the certificate has expired the site gets blocked.I have received blocked warnings from Google on occasion.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with https status, the owner has privacy blocks on it, if you can read the German. If you're getting warnings, it's your Google settings.

15. Lecollectionneur

Thanks a lot for your help, the solution Dragonfly find seems to be the good one, and the rest of the discussion is very interesting !

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. Lecollectionneur

Some news about those hallmarks, for Friedrich August Thuemmel they are only occurrences from the website silberpunze and I can't have any contact with the webmaster, somebody has a solution please ?
    Making a Google search is not easy, all pictures are coming from this website and this silversmith seems had only a small production, my candlesticks are high quality mixing cast parts with repoussé work and soldering which can be made only by a good craftsman.
    I post pictures for information about them later.

17. Any Jewelry

@DragonflyWink , any ideas how Lecollect can get access to Silberpunze? (Or I for that matter, I used to consult it too.)

Figtree3 and Lecollectionneur like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted