Seeking advice on shipping artwork,,,

Discussion in 'Art' started by AmericanGeode, Sep 5, 2019.

1. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

Hello,
    For something at a high price point, I would use UPS.
    My question is for low priced point paintings, what have you done to make shipping them as affordable and low as possible? I have seen commercial and retail shops offer shipping, even free shipping,,,,I can not buy the right size of box for less than $12 or $15.
    Does anyone have suggestions for shipping artwork please? I wish there was a USPS option like Flat Rate! Thanks in advance.

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No, it just costs a lot to ship artwork, it's the reason I don't buy it often anymore.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. AmericanGeode

Thanks. That seems to be the reality of it from my experience so far.

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It never was cheap; now it's ridiculous. One more reason I don't sell anything bigger than an 8x10 any more when I sell any at all.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Always found better rates with FedEx for large relatively lightweight packages. Haven't shipped in a couple years so don't know if this is still true. Smaller pieces I usually shipped USPS. Always made my own boxes to help defray costs. Large appliance/furniture boxes are a good source for free cardboard. I usually offered free shipping on anything $100.00 or more and tried to build the cost into my profit. On lesser priced items, I kept the shipping low by partially subsidizing it. Free or cheap shipping is definitely an aid to sales.

jsnggltt, kyratango, J Dagger and 4 others like this.
  6. AmericanGeode

Thanks. I like the idea of making your own boxes, and giving FedEx another look. That is something I can do. Thank you again.

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

The only time I shipped a larger painting I custom made a box out of a larger box. Then I scavenge materials constantly in anticipation of shipping stuff. I live in a condo building and people here order tons of stuff in the mail. Whenever I see styrofoam, bubble wrap, bumble mailers, and cardboard shipping inserts in the trash room I take them and save them. It may make me a trash picker but other than poly mailers I never buy supplies and I ship a LOT.

Edit: spelling

8. AmericanGeode

That’s great idea. In my apt. bldg likewise, there is plentiful discarded boxes from Chewy and Fresh Direct. Thanks for the insight.

J Dagger likes this.
  9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Oh and if you’re selling on eBay make sure you checkout the discounts they offer. I’m sure that is obvious but just in case it’s not they are pretty good for some services. Also if you create a business account at FedEx it can make shipping some things to some places significantly cheaper.

antidiem likes this.
  10. FedEx gives some good rates. How ever they do require a min. box size that is 2" larger all the way around then the piece that is being shipped. Also they do not insure any piece for more then $1,000, you have to go to an outside source.

11. kingcake

kingcake Member

Uhaul sells a great box for aboutv$5.00. I use that for large paintings..they also sell a prepacked carton at the counter which contains styro corners and the material to tighten them in place..approximately $5.00..Worth the $10.00 investment..Then to Fed x...Good Luck..

jsnggltt and antidiem like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Jivvy likes this.
  13. AmericanGeode

Thank you. Fed Ex keeps coming up as option I’d overlooked in the past under some assumption they were premium rats.

antidiem likes this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

They are premium rats!

Jivvy likes this.
  15. AmericanGeode

Premium "rates." I do not want FedEx to come after me for slander.

antidiem and blooey like this.
  16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The premium rats are all currently in elected office!

Jivvy, blooey and antidiem like this.
  18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

19. thomas yavis

thomas yavis tommy2tones

FedEx has been good for lower 48 (wouldn't use smartpost though) ground/home delivery,they deliver 1 biz day per 500 miles has been my experience.

20. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Uhaul also has a “free box” box where customers recycle boxes after they use them.

Fed-ex “Smart Post” is a low cost Fed-ex/USPS combo delivery.

There is a “max weight” (but it’s should cover most larger pieces) and it has to be delivered to a residence but those are the only restrictions to the best of my memory.

Draft saved Draft deleted