Featured Seeking assistance on identifying a corner chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Amanda Harrison, Apr 14, 2017.

1. IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3815.JPG I've been unable to find anything similar. The chair is stuffed with a layer of horsehair over straw. The side and front legs look like French cabriole, while the back leg is a saber. I thought the splat to be interesting and a bit of a puzzler. The needlepoint covers appear original as well, I'm just coming up empty handed. I'm thinking 18th century but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated immensely.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    judy, Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Best if you go back and edit all photos to the full image option. :)

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Not 18th century,more like 1870s or so.A nice corner chair,probably part of a parlor set. I think the upholstery is probably a replacement. But do wait for the more knowledgeable to chime in.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That sounds about right to me; someone needlepointed the new seat covers in the 1930s-1950s.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. But didn't change the stuffing? Is that usual?

judy likes this.
  6. And if the upholstery was changed, what would the original have been? Some sort of velvet?

judy likes this.
  7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Amanda Harrison likes this.
  8. The description doesn't say if its original, but it's a great place to start. Thank you!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It just calls it a 19th century carved corner chair with embroidered seat. I don't read enough Swedish to get much more out of it.

10. Neither do I. It's a beautiful chair.

11. According to Wikipedia "Further development of needlepoint was influenced in the 17th century by Bargello and in the 19th century by shaded Berlin wool work in brightly colored wool yarn. Upholstered furniture became fashionable in the 17th century, and this prompted the development of a more durable material to serve as a foundation for the embroidered works of art." I'd need to back that up though. Thoughts?

12. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Look at the picture of the base of the chair from Bukowskis and zoom in. The upholstery fabric appears to have staples. Of course it could've been reattached but reupholstery seems more likely in that case.

13. I noticed that as well.... there are definitely staples there.

Draft saved Draft deleted