Seeking info on antique French steamer trunk

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Gratefyl, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Gratefyl

Gratefyl New Member

We recently acquired the attached antique French trunk and I was hoping someone might help me identify it. I thought perhaps it might be an old LV trunk but read that they ALWAYS have a label and I don't see any on this one. I've included pictures of the markings on the brass handle braces ( handles are missing) which are stamped with the hallmark "Bte s.g.d.g." The corners and edges appear to be covered in some sort of hardened animal hide that is almost as hard as plastic. I've never seen anything like it. The middle clasp has a face hallmark. There are 2 drawers that sit inside. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!! Happy to share additional pics! Screenshot_20210330-115219_Facebook.jpg IMG_5983.jpg Screenshot_20210330-115206_Facebook.jpg

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. Gratefyl

Gratefyl New Member

Thank you! I saw that but it seems that it just relates to the bracket/side handle braces as that's what it is stamped on and I think they were used on various trunks back in the day, even Louis V...but ‍♀️

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

No labels of any sort on the inside?? Even on the underside of the 2 drawers??

5. Gratefyl

Gratefyl New Member

Not that I see. The drawer/trays have a linen on them so maybe under that but nothing visible. I couldn't believe when I realized those corners were hide.....!

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted