Seeking info on table legs...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by charleymh, Feb 9, 2019.

1. charleymh

charleymh New Member

I recently purchased 4 solid wood legs that had came off a table. The table was from 1910 I was told. I can not find any similar style of leg on any post to confirm if they are Truely antique. They are solid, very heavy! I also would like to know what type of wood they are , because I would like to use the same to re use them under a table!

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, charleymh! I think we're going to need more than just a picture of all 4 taped together to answer your questions.

3. charleymh

charleymh New Member

This can maybe help identify type of wood??

Attached Files:

4. charleymh

charleymh New Member

What other pics can I take to help ??

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pictures that show the profile of a single leg (assuming they are identical) and one that shows the unpainted top, for starters.

What part of a leg is that unfinished section on?

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. charleymh

charleymh New Member

That is the largest part of the round area... Each leg weighs about 10-15 lbs at least. They had a corbel attatched but one was missing. And each have a carved flower and it seems like it would be carved in and they don’t look all exactly perfect. I will upload more pics tmw. They are in my shop right now

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Best I can do at present..........
    ZZZZZupload_2019-2-9_19-42-6-A.jpg

i need help likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am thinking these are pretty modern but impossible to be sure from these pics.

9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Guesses the wood species is Poplar based on last pic, kinda hard to tell as most of the wood is covered in paint.

i need help, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @charleymh !

When you do use them to make another table, come back and add to this thread to show us (if you remember). Could be a fun project.

i need help and judy like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The one close up of the wood looks suspiciously like rubberwood but really impossible to tell.

Figtree3, judy and i need help like this.
  12. charleymh

charleymh New Member

here are more pics. I hope this helps. the wood looks like it was pieced together. reminds me of butcher block wood. one leg pictured is sanded down partially. The other just freshly stripped from black paint. I removed the corbals because one leg was missing one. they were added on with 2 pegs holding together. The flea market said the lady who brought them in claimed they were from her table from 1910. that when she went to move the table the top broke so she saved the legs and listed them for sale at the flea market where I found them! Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

13. charleymh

charleymh New Member

here are more pics. I hope this helps. the wood looks like it was pieced together. reminds me of butcher block wood. one leg pictured is sanded down partially. The other just freshly stripped from black paint. I removed the corbals because one leg was missing one. they were added on with 2 pegs holding together. The flea market said the lady who brought them in claimed they were from her table from 1910. that when she went to move the table the top broke so she saved the legs and listed them for sale at the flea market where I found them! Thanks for the help.

14. James Conrad

I still guess poplar and 1910 sounds about right.

charleymh likes this.
  15. charleymh

charleymh New Member

. What do you think the value of them are??

16. charleymh

charleymh New Member

What do you think the value is about ?? I have all 4

17. James Conrad

Not much, how much did you pay?

18. charleymh

charleymh New Member

19. charleymh

charleymh New Member

I figured it was better than the 200 for the brand new turned legs I wanted to order to make a table!

James Conrad likes this.
  20. James Conrad

Yeah, i guess, i would say $15 each was fair.

charleymh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted