Seeking information on a Georgian(?) chair.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by gen belli, Dec 6, 2016.

1. gen belli

gen belli Member

Afternoon all.

I recently purchased an old chair from an auction and was chasing some information about the style, period and also wood type, if it's not a reproduction that is.

The only marks I can see is John Parker Jr stamped on the underside and the Roman numerals Vlll etched on the topside of where the seat cushion lays.
    It also has a faded unreadable sticker on the underside of the chair as well.

I have researched a little and believe the leg shape to be in the sabre style which is why I have assumed Georgian.

However I thought I would turn it over to some experts within this forum, to collect a bit more concrete information.

Many thanks in advance, Gen.

IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0605.JPG

NorgeBluEyes likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think you are in the right general era for the style but what you call it might depend on what side of the pond you are. I would probably peg this as generally Federal in style. However, this is not a period chair and not truly a reproduction. Construction suggests 1940s or so.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

OP is South Indian Ocean, Perth.

4. NorgeBluEyes

NorgeBluEyes Member

That's a beautiful chair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. gen belli

gen belli Member

Thank you so much for the information VeryBrad. I am on the other side of the pond (more like an Olympic swimming pool) I live in Western Australia.
    It is also a little tricky to know if you have an English piece or an Australian interpretation, given we have a vast multicultural community.

6. gen belli

gen belli Member

Thanks, I thought so too. I paid a very reasonable price for it to which makes it a lot prettier;)

NorgeBluEyes likes this.
  7. RobMassier

RobMassier New Member

This is a chair dating to around 1820. The thick veneer, cut by hand rather than machine helps date this. The wood is mahogany with flame mahogany panel on the back. The carved roman numerals, 9, show that it was one of a large set. The reeded front rail and legs are good quality, as is the leaf carving. I can't find anything about John Parker Jn, but I'd guess he could be american. Therefore, this would be federal period. Well worth doing more research on.

gen belli likes this.
  8. gen belli

gen belli Member

Thanks RobMassier for the fascinating information.
    To know that it is so old is exciting.
    I am very glad that I was able to purchase it and hold on to a piece of history.
    Thank you for your input, much appreciated. :)

9. RobMassier

RobMassier New Member

Hello, attached is photo of a hall chair of about the same date from my collection. This was made by Gillows of Lancaster, UK. Notice the front rail and legs. I'd love to know how your research comes along. R

Attached Files:

NorgeBluEyes and gen belli like this.
  10. gen belli

gen belli Member

It is a beautiful chair, the leg similarities are encouraging and I will post any information I can find in the future on any research that turns up.
    As I am from Australia it is possible this piece may have come out with an emigranting family.
    It had been reupholstered, and as a supposition, John Parker may have been the upholster?
    Thank you for sharing your own piece it has encouraged me to search further :happy:

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am afraid that I dropped the ball on this one. Some further research leads me to concur with RobMassier's assessment. I was not aware of a historical precedence for this type of leg attachment continuous with the sides as seen here. It is commonly seen in 1940s chairs and I assumed it a modern adaptation. The devil is in the details and, had I bothered to look closer, the signs that this is an old chair are there. Mea culpa :shame: :sorry:

Here is a somewhat similar period chair I found with the same type of leg construction..
    [​IMG]

Source:

http://www.chicoraantiques.com/rare...ogany-dining-chairs-from-new-york-circa-1815/

gen belli and RobMassier like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

While I can ferret out that VIIII might be meaning 9, it isn't actually the Roman numeral for 9. Just throwing that out there because it bugs me a little.

13. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yes bugged me too, normally written as IX

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen it written here as VIIII . It's more obviously the number nine than IX which can be interpreted as nine or eleven if you read it the wrong way up! I suspect Mr Parker was the customer/owner.

Figtree3 and gen belli like this.
  15. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

What OBB said..................I find it more common as a "marking" than as a "number" so to speak

16. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

I love chair and this one is really nice. I thought Empire, but I have to be honest that dating antiques can be daunting.

17. gen belli

gen belli Member

Thanks everyone for all the information and the searches. It has certainly yielded more than I had expected.
    Very pleased to know I own such a lovely piece of furniture. :joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted