Featured Seeking information regarding antique sideboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cassie Westbrook, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Cassie Westbrook

Cassie Westbrook New Member

sideboard.jpg We purchased a home that was built in 1870. We inherited this piece as the vanity in a bathroom. It is obviously antique and we have been told by several that it may be called a sideboard. We are looking to see if anyone may have any information about what type of piece this is, estimated time period, and/or value. Any input is greatly appreciated as we are trying to discover more about our old farmhouse.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
    TraceyB, Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Cassie! From the side view I think a previous life as a sideboard is definitely possible, sometimes and in some places referred to as a buffet. I imagine it might be difficult to get a straight-on picture in a bathroom, but if it is possible, it would help.

TraceyB, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I first saw using old furniture in bathrooms back in the 1960s. A friend used a 1780 dresser that had the top warped and infested with worm holes. It was so bad that it was going to the dump. My friend took the top off and replaced it with a marble slab. He had the hole cut to fit a sink and the faucets. It was a wonderful cabinet. I never had the guts to replace a piece
    with old furniture.
    greg

TraceyB, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

My brother made their guest bath vanity out of an old piece of furniture. Their house is just as old so it made a great deal of sense.

TraceyB, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

My "personal" opinion is that it is not a "sideboard" or "buffet" in the "old" sense of the word as being a piece of furniture in a dining/eating room. I think it may be too narrow in width.

I have one other "concern" -- on the bottom where the nice doors are -- is there glass behind/set into the bottom doors or are there possibly even small/tiny remnants of fabric behind the doors?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    TraceyB and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

The straight-on picture I asked Cassie to post could answer those questions. Dimensions would also help. I only said it was "possible" not guaranteed. ;)

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm tending to lean towards a buffet or dining room sideboard.....as I recall, I think they came in many sizes as well as styles and shapes going along with different periods!!

TraceyB and judy like this.
  8. Cassie Westbrook

The doors are solid wood on the front and back. No remnants of fabric or glass anywhere that I can see.

Attached Files:

TraceyB, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The relatively small size would cause me to term this a server. I think about 1890 and European in origin.

10. Cassie Westbrook

Thank you for the information. Based on that time period, could you give an estimated value?

TraceyB likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value as an antique has been lost due to modification. It is worth what you can get for it.

BoudiccaJones, TraceyB, judy and 3 others like this.
  12. columba

columba Member

It looks to be Edwardian ,a bit of a mixture of very late Victorian ,the columns holding up the shelves look to be upside down. Probably English.
    better images would help. Look up Chiffoniers.

Columba.

TraceyB likes this.
  13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@columba - the OP for this thread hasn't been back since October 2019.

BoudiccaJones, TraceyB and komokwa like this.
  14. columba

columba Member

Sorry about that,Thanks for letting me know.Info may be interesting for others.

Columba.

TraceyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted