Featured Seeking Information: Vintage Brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Heather Ross, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Heather Ross

Heather Ross New Member

I'd love to know any information you all could give me about this piece. I found it at an estate sale. Very interested to know the age of the piece, but all info is very welcome. Thank You! image1.JPG image1 (1).JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Others will be along who will give you information on that attractive pin.

I'll add that the photo nestled in the back is quite sweet. It looks like it "might be" a photo of a grandmother and grandchild. Then again it could be a mother and her child. ;)

Heather Ross likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I know little about jewelry , but I think its 1900ish gold plated, the rose MIGHT be coral . That picture makes me smile .

4. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I think more likely gold-filled than gold plated, but I agree with johnny on the approximate timeframe. And I second the rose likely being coral.

I wonder if this is a mourning brooch?

5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Does the top portion swing down over the lower part? Is something missing maybe?

Heather Ross likes this.
  6. Heather Ross

Heather Ross New Member

Thank you all so much for your responses. As far as I can tell, there is nothing missing on the piece, although there are some dents and dings. It is however, hinged between the upper and lower portion.

7. starsbarking

starsbarking Member

On the back of the upper piece there is a strip of metal, perpendicular to and behind the pin. Is it a broken loop for a chain?

The woman reminds me of my Aunt Florence...

Heather Ross likes this.
  8. trailboss

trailboss New Member

I suspect the photo is upside down. I think it should be right side up when hinged up to share with others. A memory broach. Not sure if it honors the woman or the child.

Heather Ross likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not mourning, the red rose would be a love symbol. Photo is later than the brooch, which looks to be early 20th.

Figtree3, Heather Ross and Ladybranch like this.
  10. Heather Ross

Heather Ross New Member

I agree with trailboss that the photo probably is upside down, as you could flip the bottom portion up while wearing, to reveal the photo. Starsbarking, there is a piece of metal behind the pin, a "bail" of sorts. It's not broken, but it is slightly smashed inward. This piece was either very much loved or somewhat neglected in it's day. :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. Heather Ross

Heather Ross New Member

Also, now that I've been looking at it a bit more, I believe that there is probably a leaf missing from the front - above and to the left of the rose. That space feels "empty" in comparison to the rest and there seems to be a random stem not terminated with a leaf.

I'm still pretty in love with this piece, despite the damage. I usually am not the girl you find digging through the jewelry at estate sales, but this particular sale was very small. I was determined to find something amazing there, so when I flipped this piece over and saw the little picture frame, I knew it would be mine. (Devious Face)

Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

This piece was either very much loved or somewhat neglected in it's day.

Heather, I choose to believe that it was very much loved!

I, too, find it positively delightful!

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have jumped on that piece so fast my hand would have blurred. :)

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love it, too -- and agree with the other comments made about the general age and meaning of the flower.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted