Featured Seeking opinions on large Chinese vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 2manybooks, Nov 27, 2018.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

This famille rose vase is coming up in a local auction. It is 43" high,with the wooden stand. No marks noted. Any opinions on age and/or significance? Large Chinese vase at Beloit Auction 2 (386x640).jpg Large Chinese vase at Beloit Auction 4 (394x640).jpg Large Chinese vase at Beloit Auction 3 (480x640).jpg Large Chinese vase at Beloit Auction 5 (603x640).jpg Large Chinese vase at Beloit Auction 1 (640x592).jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and 2manybooks like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Not a vase, a covered urn.

Not so sure it is very old.
    Maybe 1950ish.

Wait for other comments.
    @Asian Fever or @Mat

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The crudeness of the dog on top pretty much says it all. The unglazed parts of the lid finish saying it. Not old,not high quality,but pretty nonetheless.

Asian Fever, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I have a large jar with similar decoration (very very similar - would have to guess done in the same factory) - I've been told in a couple places late 20th century - decorative value only. Your results may vary.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, no great age or quality. But a real eye-catcher.
    Yes, a rule of thumb for Chinese porcelain is, if it is fussy and brightly coloured, think Canton (Guandong).

7. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

@2manybooks how much the estimation price for these kind in the auction there?:angelic:

i need help and kyratango like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No estimates provided at this auction (not exactly upper echelon). I will have to wait and see what it goes for. Currently sitting at $170.
    Thanks to all for the comments. I will probably save my money. :)

9. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

The uncomfortable pink color always tells it is after 1950. No collectors would buy

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice term.:D

11. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

because the original pink color pigment was out of an ore mineral. The ore site runs out, so they can never make the same pink color after, say, 1950 or earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted